Sunday, January 18, 2009

What a difference 2 years makes...

As I woke up this morning the date struck me. It was exactly 2 years ago today that we took our sweet Jill in to have her hip replaced. I'll never forget the anxiety and stress we felt, not being able to explain to the poor pup what was going on. Why she hadn't been allowed to eat dinner the night before, or been allowed to drink water when she woke. I knew she could tell that something was out of sorts, but I don't think she had a clue as to what the next days, weeks and months would bring. We took her in to the Veterinary Specialty Hospital, which thankfully is very near our house, and left her in the very capable hands of her surgeon. It was a long, agonizing day of waiting to get word of how she'd done through the surgery, but at last, in the late afternoon we got the call that we'd been waiting for. Jill had received a brand-spanking new titanium hip, and was resting comfortably. WHEW! What a relief it was to hear those words!

In a way it feels like only a couple of months ago that we went through all of that stress, both emotionally and financially, (titanium hips are very expensive, even for dogs, and not a penny of it was covered by our insurance) and then again it seems like a lifetime ago. When I think of all that we've done with Jill in the last two years it seems nearly impossible that it all could have been crammed into that short of a time.

I guess to sum it up I will just say that I am incredibly happy that everything went as well as it did, and we now have the healthy, happy pup we'd hoped for when we'd gotten her.

From stitches to running, swimming, playing in the snow and surfing - who can knock that?



5 comments:

Valerie Cummings said...

JIll is my baby! I just LOVE her!!!Im so glad she is in our lives she is such a love bug! I am seriously in love with her! Now that I think about it.... I need a Jill fix!!!!! Hugs, Valerie Joey and Kealani. We love you Sue!

Paco,Milo, Maya and mommy Simona said...

OHHHHHHHHHHHH Dear Jill....
we don't know that.....POOR baby!!!!
But now is all ok and e're very very very happy for you and your family!!!!!
they love you so much like you too...
now you can have the best life that you deserve and all your days will be special for you!!!!
we love you.....and Your mum Sue!!!!
kisses and licks!!!!!!!

Tami said...

It really hurts to see your pet go through something like that. I'm glad she is okay and things worked out!! :)

April said...

Poor Jill! You've got her bare ass exposed on the internet! ;)

Monika said...

Hi sue,
what a beautiful girl Jill is. I know she appreciates you SO much for doing it for her :)