Saturday, January 3, 2009

Mealtime Manners

Mealtime with 4 Goldens can sometimes be a challenge. Not around here though. A couple of years ago my friend Merrill told me how he would ask his girl, Harley, to wait patiently before digging in. He used a release word, "Chow", to let her know it was OK to start eating. I'd watched an episode of "The Dog Whisperer" where he did basically the same thing. He got the pups in a "sit" position, and asked them to wait until he said it was OK to eat. We tried it out a while ago and were amazed at how easily they all took to our request that they "wait" before chowing down. It took only a couple of times before they understood the rules, brilliant Goldens that they are!

A blog friend recently mentioned that they got a new puppy, and that mealtimes were a challenge. I took this video for her. If we can do it with 4, 2 should be a breeze! Good luck!


10 comments:

Homer said...

Oh wow, you are so civilised, behaved like perfect gentlemen and ladies. Whenever we are dog sitting, I would always trade my bowl with the other. Depending on which guest dog, sometimes they welcomed the trade otherwise I'll get a growl from them.

This is a cute video.

Love,
Homer

Homer said...

BTW, there are four of you, how did your humans cope with all the hair? Dyson animal? Furminator?

Love,
Homer

Valerie Cummings said...

Wow! They are such well behaved little angels! Joey and Kealani switch off in the middle of eating and will go to the other bowl! Its funny.

Coffee Talk with Shar said...

How Cute! We actually do the same thing with our dogs, which I never thought would work with Prinnie, but they both now will only eat when they are "released" with the "go ahead" command.

Curt Rogers said...

Very nice! Now if only you could teach them to do the dishes! THAT'S the video I'm waiting for! I bet you could even make money off of it!

Curt Rogers said...

Homer, I have a Furminator and love it, but my favorite is the Oster Rake. It pulls up as much undercoat in five minutes as the Furminator does in about an hour.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue! Our whole family just finished watching the video three times - we love it! Now we know what's possible and we have a goal to work on. Thanks so much for making the video. Your Goldens are beautiful - and so well-trained!

Your friend,
Joey

Chris H said...

That is so cute... now can I just send Griffin to you for training? I'm sure it won't take long!

Life With Dogs said...

If only we were so well behaved!

Anniessa said...

Gosh, I think they get off easy!!
Lily has to wait for her "bowl" food AND she still has to earn most of it it - piece by piece - at her MannersMinder! Poor girl - never a moments peace! : )