Monday, January 5, 2009

Through an amatuer's eyes - a review of "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"

"I was born under unusual circumstances..." ...and so the story of Benjamin Button begins. The majority of the 2 hour and 48 minute movie is told in narrative by the main character, Benjamin, portrayed by the splendidly delicious Brad Pitt.(Um, yeah, betcha can't tell I like him, huh?)

The movie tells the story of a baby born old, and as he ages, he grows younger. Confusing? Maybe a little at first...A great story? You betcha! Brad Pitt is fantastic in the role, and the prosthetic makeup and seamless computer-generated effects are superb! His narrative voice, sprinkled with a hint of a Louisiana accent is perfect, warm, rich, and soothing, like peanut butter on toast...yummy. It may not be my all-time favorite of his movies (Interview with the Vampire, Legends of the Fall, and Meet Joe Black all come to mind, as they are truly Brad Pitt "Eye candy ,love-fest movies" in my eyes...) but this one will rank right up there close to the top.

The supporting cast is nearly as impressive as my boyfriend Brad, with Cate Blanchett as his main love interest Daisy (lucky, lucky Cate), and Taraji P. Henson as his "adoptive" mother Queenie. Tilda Swinton was Elizabeth Abbot, a British Trade Minister's wife, and one of Benjamin's lovers. Her character was smooth, cool hearted, and unforgettable.

The story has that "sweeping love story" feel to it, surrounded by the circumstances of the eras it covers - from the depression, through world wars, and into the 50's, 60's and 70's...It's not as politically in tuned to what was happening at different times as, let's say, Forrest Gump, but has that same feel to it, if that makes any sense. The following of a particular character through the many decades and aspects of his life. This film has already collected an impressive array of award nominations and has "Oscar" buzzing all around it. I can see why. I'll give this film a strong A-, and highly recommend it, especially if you are a Brad fan.

(Movie poster courtesy of Wikipedia)

6 comments:

Life With Dogs said...

Ok, I'm sold! : )

Bogart said...

So, Claire and I saw it last night...I will write about it later this week, but we really did not like it...it was a poor man's Forrest Gump, except the characters were not likeable. I thought both he and his lady were miserable, selfish people.

Tami said...

My nephew (who is 16) cried when he saw this movie. He didn't want to spoil the plot, so I don't know much. Only that I must go see it!

Unknown said...

Bogart - that just goes to show you that you don't love Brad nearly as much as I do...

I'd be happy watching the hair on his legs grow. Really happy.

Anniessa said...

Talen saw it and said she bawled for about 2 of the 3 hours (teen time, that is.)

Do we need to take boxes of tissues??

Coffee Talk with Shar said...

Now HOW did we know that you'd hop right on seeing this movie???? Brad, Brad, Brad!!!!! :)

Thanks for the review because we were thinking of seeing it, and will now for sure!