Thursday, August 7, 2008

Some days are diamonds, some days are stones





I'm thinking today may be a stone. You know how some days you wake up, and you've just "got it," and then other days you wake up, and you don't? Today is a "don't" for me. I don't have energy, I don't have motivation, I don't have interest, I don't have any "umph." Don't get me wrong, I don't want today to be a stone, but it's just leaning that way.

I barely drug myself out of bed at 5:30 am for a 5 mile training walk at the lake. Bear is doing some manager training this week for her job, and she needs to be there by 9:00 am - so we had to get a good early start to get our miles in, and get her home in time to clean up and get ready to leave the house. It takes us about 20 minutes to get ready in the morning, and another 10 to get to the lake. Today, I was moving at a slower pace, and we got to the lake at 6:10 am. Still not too bad for someone with no "umph" today...

We did some stretching, and off we were. It was still a bit grey from the low lying clouds, and it was already starting to feel warm and humid. I don't like humidity....so of course that gave me something to be grumpy about. Within a half mile, I decided that I REALLY didn't feel like walking today. Didn't feel like turning my music on, didn't feel like getting my water bottle out, didn't feel like talking and certainly didn't feel like taking another step. I kept trudging on though, mumbling under my breath about how Hubby was still curled up in bed...how the dogs were laying on the cool tile awaiting my return, and how hungry I was. Grump, grump, grump.

It took me a solid 2 1/2 miles to get into a decent pace. I think it was a mental thing, knowing that I was half way done. By then the sun had completely broken through the clouds and was shining - mercifully - on our backs, gently pushing us along back towards the car. After an hour and 40 minutes, we'd completed our task, right on time, just as it should be. I fumbled in my backpack for the keys, unlocked the door, and slumped appreciatively into the driver's seat. I did it...not the longest training walk I've been on, but for some reason, one of the toughest. Now I am home, with the whole day still ahead of me...and feeling that I've accomplished a little something. Maybe it won't be such a "stone" of a day after all.

4 comments:

Valerie Cummings said...

I hear ya sista! I just got back from our morning walk thinking the same thing! I HATE HUMIDITY! The sun was in our face back home and Joey ran to his little pool filled with water. Sweaty UGH! Im a lot grumpy!

April said...

I've been having a few stone days myself. I'm holding out for the diamond. It doesn't even have to be a big one, it just has to have decent clarity. :)

Hang in there Sue! Everyone's allowed a stone day or too. You are doing an amazing thing.

Coffee Talk with Shar said...

I can SOOOO relate to this post! I hate those stone days! I just love your analogies though and good for you for getting through a crappy start to your day! And no"ma'am", you shouldn't have to be the first one to say "good morning". :)

Curt Rogers said...

I can not tell you the number of times every fiber of my being resisted the walk. But as difficult as those stone walks can be, there is something more rewarding about them simply because you did it anyway.

Good for you! I'm rooting for you every step of the way!