Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Big Freaken Bug!

Ok, so as you know, my blog is called "random ramblings" so here is something for you in the " really-random" department...

The other day, I spotted this BIG FREAKEN BUG in the back yard...now I'm not talking about a little ol spider, or a wasp, or a dragon fly, I'm talking a 3" long flyer, with a 6" wing span!

This thing could swoop down and carry off a small child if it wanted to! YIKES! Val was over with her pups, and when she got home, she looked the thing up on google. She found out it is called a Tarantula Hawk Wasp. Yuck! This thing actually kills tarantulas, then lays an egg on the body, and when the egg hatches, it uses the dead tarantula as food. Ok, seriously, how gross it that?!? And it was in my back yard! So....does that also mean that there are tarantulas in these here parts? Oh, I'm gettin the heeby - geebies just thinking about it...


7 comments:

Valerie Cummings said...

Oh its so gross to even look at it!

Coffee Talk with Shar said...

That is just NASTY!!! I know we used to have tarantulas in AZ, and as gross as they sound, they are supposed to be pretty harmless and good for the garden! Never could get used to them, or the bugs that go with them!!!!

Chris and Mackenzie said...

Whoa! You need to put a warning on this post! :)

Chris

Chris H said...

Hmmm... freaking out.... MAYBE I won't be visiting you mate! lol

Bogart said...

No good in that...I am trying to ensure Claire that bugs are very few and far between in San Diego and you go and do that...

My first thought, though, was that Andrew Zimmern from Bizzare Foods would probably eat it.

Shirl said...

Holy Mother of God!! (sorry if I offend anyone.) But that's one scary *&$! bug! I want my Mommy! Wait... maybe not.

On the up-side, your photography is fabulous. Tell me that's a good zoom lens and that you didn't get THAT close.

Hogan Family said...

I did see a tarantula once on the back side of Miramar.