Saturday, August 30, 2008

Chunky Legs in Motion - Part Sześć (that's Polish, don't ask...)

WORDS OF INSPIRATION...

What a morning! What a walk! What's with the humidity?? We San Diego folk aren't used to the kind of humidity we've been having, and needless to say, we really felt it this morning. Bear and I went on an 11 mile training walk, and it felt like a 100! OK, well, I may just be exaggerating a tiny bit, but it was a long, tough walk today. The humidity was a killer - and even though we got a semi-early start (we were on the road walking at 7:30am) it was miserable!

I'll have to admit, (and I hate to do this...) that I really started doubting myself this morning. Doubting if I could finish today, doubting if I would be able to walk the entire 60 miles in November, doubting my sanity for signing on to the challenge of raising at least $2200 just to be allowed to participate in the walk. Oh, sure, I'd done it in 2006, raised more than double what I needed to, walked over 67 miles in the course of the 3 day walk, but I was 2 years younger then, a few pounds lighter, and a little more sure of myself.

And then it happened...as we approached our 9 mile mark, we found inspiration. We'd walked by this particular little area a couple of times before, but were always on a mission to get back to the car as soon as possible, and never really took the time to look at what we were walking by. For some reason today I told Bear that we should go out on to the different little path, and get up close to the sculptures and plaques that we'd so often walked by in the past. As soon as I realized where we were, and what the park signified, it hit me. Pretty hard. I can do these last couple of miles. I can walk 60 miles in 3 days in November with over 4,500 other people that are all walking for the same reason.I can walk for my Mom, a 22 year breast cancer survivor, my Aunt Evelyn, another survivor, my bowling friend Lisa, currently fighting, my friend Dave's Mom, and all of the other survivors out there...and, of course, those who weren't so lucky. I can raise the rest of the money I need to, and help Bear and Shirley raise their money. I.CAN. DO. ANYTHING!










5 comments:

Valerie Cummings said...

Wow that is inspirational!

April said...

Okay I was already feeling a little emotional when I clicked over here, but you just made me cry.

This is why I truly love your blog Sue. I love your pictures, I love your stories, I love your inspiration. If you lived next door, we would be friends. I would have my chubby thighs and hips and ass in motion right along with yours.

And you can have Brad all to yourself, I can never forgive him for what he did to Jen. But when push comes to shove over Clive, I will take you down woman (have you seen his wife? Google her, she looks like a real woman so I think I've got a shot.). I'll share James though. ;)

Coffee Talk with Shar said...

WAY TO GO SUE AND BEAR!!!!! I can only dream of having the courage, determination and strength of you both to do what you are doing!

And, yes, the humidity was a killer today!!! How you did what you did with this weather is even more amazing! You are both truly inspirational!!!

Ps: I think we still owe you both a check!!!!

Curt Rogers said...

Sue, your inspiration is an inspiration to the rest of us. This is a magnificent post and one of the reasons I love your blog. You put such positive energy out into the world. I have every faith in you and know you'll be just fine. More than fine. You have the power to succeed in all you do.

Shirl said...

As for me, I KNOW why you were moved to go down that different path. And I also know that we WILL get through those 60 miles in November, even if it means leaning on one another, bandaging each others blisters or just listen to each other, because I HAVE THE BEST TEAMMATES IN THE WORLD!!