Sunday, August 17, 2008

Poopa-palooza!

Today I drug the family out early, and we did a little community service. Well, I didn't really drag them out...but they were none too thrilled about getting out of bed at 7:30am on a Sunday morning, to go and pick up trash, and poop - LOTS of poop...but they did, and I love them for it. Not that I wouldn't have if they didn't come with me, but you know what I mean....

Anyway, here's the deal....I belong to a group called F.I.D.O, which stands for Fiesta Island Dog Owners. Fiesta Island is this cool area here in San Diego, where dogs are allowed off leash all of the time, and there is a huge fenced in area that has access to Mission Bay. It's a pup's paradise! And because not all caretakers of dogs are as responsible as they should be, every once in a while, the place needs to be cleaned up. Now, I'm certain that if dogs had thumbs, and could work one of those neato little gripper thingys or their own pooper-scooper, they would. But of course they can't, so it is up to us, the responsible, upright, homo sapiens, to bend over, and scoop the poop, and properly dispose of said poop. You'd think it's a pretty simple concept, right? Apparently a LOT of people can't figure it out, because, let me tell you folks, there was a LOT of crap out there today. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the lack of actual garbage, cans, paper, etc., but the poop? Holy Moly! We picked up bags, and bags of it, and I'm talking large kitchen sized bags of it. Oh sure, we saw and picked up a number of other things too, a couple of water bottle tops, some random torn paper and bags, a bunch of cigarette butts, and some creepy stuff like a dead hamster (someone actually thought they could let their pet little hamster loose out there and it could fend for itself? Geeze...) and some recently shed snake skin...gross! But, by far, the pet waste was the worst.


I guess that's what we went out there for though, right? To help clean up? Just makes you wonder about people sometimes though, ya know? The entire day wasn't "crappy", though...after the clean-up event we went over to Pacific Beach, had a yummy lunch at "Fat Burger" and strolled along the boardwalk and the P.B. pier for a little while. It was another beautiful day here in sunny San Diego!


Big thanks to my friends who joined me on the poop patrol today - Shirley & Ed, Jill & Jeremy, and of course Hubby and the kids. Betcha you'll think twice next time I say I've got something FUN to do on a Sunday morning!







6 comments:

Coffee Talk with Shar said...

You guys rock! And what's up with people who leave poop?? That's just gross, and flat out irresponsible. Thank god for folks like you all!!!

Oh, and Shar is working on your Tiki Boy - she cut down a damn palm tree for the wood! MY palm tree!!!!!!

Unknown said...

She didn't use a whacker to cut down that palm, did she? Hahahaha!

Coffee Talk with Shar said...

No, she gave the "good" wacker back, and the neighbors wackers here just aren't the same!!!! Heehee!!

Chris H said...

Well done! Rather you than me, it's bad enough picking up your own dogs poop! Here if you are caught not picking up your dog's poop you get a fine.

Chris and Mackenzie said...

Love your shirts!

Chris

Thor and Jack said...

You did very well! :)
Fiesta Island looks like a wonderful place! I'd like to go there someday!

woof
Thor