Monday, June 2, 2008

Shades of blue, purple, and green...

No, I'm not talking about the pretty blue sky, lavender flowers, and lush, green grass...I'm talking about the shades of color that the skin on my left knee and left hand are now turning. Oh, how's that for a pretty visual for you?

...So, here is the scoop on the fall I took Friday...I was walking down the sidewalk to my driveway to meet a friend for a Starbucks visit, and a pedicure...(a girl's got to have decent looking toes during "sandal" season, you know...) I turned the corner to the driveway, and caught just the edge of my flip-flop on a sprinkler that had popped up to do it's sprinkling, and then never went back down. I did one of those slow-motion falls, where you think you can still catch your balance, but the top half of your body is way too far forward for your legs to catch up with. I let out an "oh.... OH.....OOOHHHHH!" loud enough to catch the attention of 3 neighbors that all came running out of their houses to see if I was ok. I'm thinking I must have yelled pretty loud indeed. The instant I went down, mainly on my left knee and the back of my left hand, I thought to myself, "oh, you didn't hit your face, and all teeth are intact! That's good!" The next thing I thought was, "Did I break a nail? Nope! All nails intact too. Yeah!" I have no idea why I was worried about my nails. I should have been worried about my poor left pinky finger that was mangled and bloodied from my (now severely bent) wedding ring. Delightful.

Anyway...to make a painfully long story a wee bit shorter.... I iced everything down, still went for my Starbucks and pedicure (hey, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!) and went for x-rays on both hands and my knee later that afternoon. Nothing broken, thankfully, and I was sent home with some Vicodin, a brace for my left hand, and a thumb splint for my right hand. No complaints though, I was very well taken care of this weekend, waited on hand and foot... now it's time to get back to reality. The brace is off my left hand, and things are getting back to normal for me...which reminds me....laundry awaits.

5 comments:

April said...

Hi Sue! Thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog! It really made my day! Of course you can add me to your favorites, I am beyond flattered.

I am so sorry about your fall! I cracked up that you still kept your Starbucks and pedicure date! I was in labor with my daughter and went for a pedicure and then to Costco. My husband was so mad! But hey, priorities right?

I love looking at your travel pictures! I loved London, I want to move there but it's too expensive. We decided we would try to go to Europe every year as long as we could afford it. Two years ago it was London and Paris, last year Germany, this year in November we are going to Rome and Venice. We are planning next year to hopefully be Scotland and Ireland. Can't wait!!

And I LOVE your SMART car! I want one, but not practical with three kids to taxi around. Ha! :) Hope your bruises heal quickly!

Anonymous said...

I recently fell in my neighbor's driveway when I went to take care of their devil cat. I went down silently and just laid there looking up at the sky for a bit. I think it might have registered on the richter scale but never heard. No neighbors came to my aid... which I was actually glad for... but at the same time, what if I'd hit my head and was unconscious???

Valerie Cummings said...

I am so glad you are ok. Your hand is quite colorful sister!

Unknown said...

April - We have lots in common! Where in Germany did you go? I have famiy that lives in the north, near a city called Lubeck. Great place to visit. We were there several years ago and spent 2 weeks traveling from the north to the south. I'm itching to go back. I Was in Scotland and Ireland 4 years ago for my oldest daughter's high school graduation trip. LOVED IT! I'd like to take Hubby back there sometime.

I love the Smart Car too, but you are right, I can barely get one kid and a dog in it at the same time. I keep the Expedition around for that, but I gotta tell ya, zipping around in the Smart is SO fun, and makes me feel a little like Brittney Spears - people everywhere stare at me when I'm in it. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing though!

Coffee Bean - I can't remember the last time a took a fall that hard. The embarrassment was terrible. I didn't want anyone to help, just wanted them to leave me alone, while I sat there trying to figure out if and when I'd ever be able to get up again. I was SO thankful that I didn't bust my teeth or wet myself!

Val - I tried to take pictures of my pretty hand and knee today, but the pictures just don't do it justice. Feeling much better today though, thankfully!

Curt Rogers said...

Oh, Sue! I'm so sorry! I've been out of it the past week or so (recouping from a nasty sinus and ear infection) and just started catching up on my blogs. Poor you! Take it from me, I'm an experienced tumbler and know how painful they can be. I think I've had three good falls this year (even ended up with a concussion a few months back, not from hitting my head but from the impact JERKING my head so hard!). I hope you're all better now and that everyone is treating you like a queen while you recoup! And what a trooper, making her Starbucks and pedicure date to boot! You deserve a medal!