Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The "Ironman of Gaming"

I heard a bit of fun news that I wanted to share. You may remember that I recently took a trip to Fort Worth, Texas, to see my nephew graduate from High School. What I didn't bother to mention at the time, because frankly I didn't think it was that important, is that, like most typical teenage boys, my nephew likes to play video games. Boy, howdy, does he like to play video games! Well, for once in my life, I'm going to say something that I never thought I would...playing video games has really paid off for him. Literally. $10,000 worth of pay off. My nephew, we'll call him H.P., participated in a 3 day long video game competion...and won. First Prize. Big moolah for an 18 year old. H.P.'s Dad and Sister were there to watch him in the final rounds and swoop in at the last minute to claim the big prize. Third place won a T-shirt, second place won a plaque, first place took home the cash, and the title of "Ironman of Gaming." You've got to have some pretty sweet skills to take home the big bucks, and the big belt...don't forget the belt.

4 comments:

Valerie Cummings said...

OMG I cant believe it! Thats cool!

Chris and Mackenzie said...

Whoa...that's a nice chunk of change! What game was he playing?

April said...

My ten year old is in training for this event. :)

And they say video games are bad for kids. Whatever.

Unknown said...

Chris - it was a whole bunch of different games. Something like 20 different games each day, some old classics, and some brand new, not even on the market yet. My nephew pulled out ahead to win 1st prize on the last game, which was Guitar Hero - the brand new Aerosmith version. Pretty cool.