Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A update on two things

Before I forget, I thought I'd update you on two things I've mentioned recently here...

First of all, my stupid leg tests... I finally got the results from the nerve conductor test and the EMG. Both were "normal." NORMAL? What the heck? Is it normal that I still have a strip of skin, about four inches wide, from my butt cheek down to my toes that I can't feel? Hardly seems "normal" to me. But, hey, I didn't go to medical school. So...the next step is going to a Neurologist. I have an appointment next Tuesday at 8:30am. Meanwhile, I'm trying to get in to see a Chiropractor. I am not a fan of Chiropractors at all, but at this point I am willing to try just about anything. So far no luck in getting an appointment time that works for me. I've got a lot on my plate right now, but hoping maybe I can get in on Monday...


Second, remember when my Mom fell and broke her arm last week, and was laying in the driveway calling for help and the guy across the street sitting in his truck didn't come over to help? Yeah, well, guess who was outside last night when I went over to deliver G-Ma and G-Pa dinner...Yup, "Mr. Truck." As Hubby and I were parking, he pulled up in his truck and started to get out at the same time we did. I have to admit, my blood boiled a bit when I saw him, but I figured that it was the perfect opportunity to talk to him, with Hubby there in case I needed him.

I walked across the street, being as nice as I possibly could be and said hello. He is an older Hispanic man, with a very thick accent, and to be honest, I wasn't sure he was going to be able to understand me when I spoke to him, but I took the chance and dove right in.

I said, "Did you happen to be out here last Wednesday and see my Mom in her garage?"

He said, "Yes."

Did you see her fall?

No.

Did you see her laying on the ground?

Yes.

Did you hear her yelling for help?

Yes.

Why didn't you help her?

I was scared.

(Seriously, he said he was scared...of a 70 year old woman, lying on the ground, calling for help...)

I wish you would have gone over to help her. She fell and broke her arm.

I'm sorry. I was scared.

Ok, I understand that, (not really, but it sounded like the right thing to say), but there was nothing to be scared of. She needed help, she couldn't get up by herself.

I saw a guy come and help her.

Yes, someone was walking by and came to help her, thank goodness.

Is she ok?

Yes, she is ok, but if you ever see something like that happen, please don't be scared. Please see if she needs some help, ok?

Yes, I'm sorry.

And that was it. I said thank you, and I went inside and told G-Ma that I'd spoken to him. She was surprised and mad that she'd been right, he had seen her and not helped her. I asked her what she would have done if the tables had been turned, if she was the one that saw him on the ground yelling for help. She said she wasn't sure. I told her to think about that... I told her that it doesn't hurt to be nice to your neighbors. You never know when you might need them. She agreed.

Hopefully next time he will help her. Hopefully there won't be a next time.




6 comments:

Tami said...

Wow Sue, that took guts to go say something to the guy. I hope he is ashamed of himself and will do better in the future. You go girl!

Anonymous said...

That was brave of you to confront the guy - and he deserved it. Plus, it might really make a difference to your mom's - or his - life someday. Good job!

See ya!
Joey

donna said...

I have an awesome chiro but he's here in Poway. I credit him with pretty much saving my life from the severe neck pain I used to have as a result of a car accident when I was 16. I have arthritis in two vertebrae from that. But between yoga, the chiro, and Pilates I was able to ditch all pain medicines completely. It sounds like you have a bad case of sciatica so the chiro may be just the thing. Ours certainly helped Tom when he was going through that.

Don't be too hard on the neighbor -- he might have had a bad experience helping someone before and maybe being blamed or accused of something he didn't do. Who knows.

Chris H said...

GOOD ON YOU for talking to him! Scared? what a stupid man! Oh no.. I mean idiot, whimp, ignorant prick!

Valerie Cummings said...

Wow I cant believe you talked to that guy! Oh wait! Yes I can and I am so proud you did that! Good for you! Hugs, Valerie

Bogart said...

Whew...what a relief it must be to know that you are "normal"!