Friday, February 27, 2009

In Full Bloom

I have many different talents (thank you, thank you very much), but gardening has never been one of them. When we first moved into our house, long before we got our pool put in I did give it a good college try, but it was always a struggle to keep my blooming beauties alive.

I wouldn't say that I have anything even remotely resembling a green thumb. We have Easy Turf in our backyard, lots of palms that require little care, a rather small front yard that Hubby keeps well groomed, and a couple of other little plants here and there.

Nearly two years ago when I had surgery on my ankle (a nasty little bone spur that was cutting into my Achilles tendon had to be removed and my Achilles repaired...fun fun) a neighbor gave me an Orchid. It was a lovely little plant with gorgeous dark pink blooms. I loved it, and almost felt bad that it was coming into my care, with my track record of killing plants and all. Well, ladies and gentlemen, drum roll please....I haven't killed this one (yet)! I've been as careful as I could be with this little baby, and I'm so pleased to say that it has survived 23 1/2 months in my care, and is currently in full bloom! What a hearty little thing this one must be!

Maybe the tide is turning on my plant killing days...last summer, while we were at the County Fair, I bought a Plumeria or two (they still look like sticks in pots right now..) and was given a couple of bulbs. I didn't think much of them, but threw them in a pot with some dirt and forgot about them. Well, low and behold, over the last couple of months the darn thing sprouted and became a gorgeous lily of some type.

Not bad for a girl with a brown thumb, huh?

7 comments:

Valerie Cummings said...

Wow! You go girl!

Chris H said...

The colour of that orchin is just devine! I too do not have a green thumb... and I have killed every houseplant I ever had. *sigh*

Najia said...

Beautiful! Wow. That second flower is an Amaryllis, I think. I LOVE GARDENING. Feel free to let me know whenever you have questions.

I love Plumeria!

donna said...

Yup, Amaryllis.

You just do well with plants that thrive on neglect. ;^)

I think most people kill orchids (and most plants, in fact) by overwatering them.

Carebear said...

Oh, your flowers are beautiful and make me long for spring. We got more snow here this week and I'm so over it! I think that perhaps your brown thumb got a shade greener recently. Keep up the good gardening work!

Anonymous said...

What yummy - I mean beautiful - flowers!

Your pal,
Joey

Coffee Talk with Shar said...

Oh oh oh!!! THe Plumeria is what we fell in love with in Maui! The smell is incredible. And hey missy, anybody who can make their yard and home look as beutiful as yours definitely has a green thumb!!!