Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It's a Show Dog's Life...

...but not for us.

I had a great time this past weekend, walking around the Silver Bay Kennel Club Dog Show at the beautiful Del Mar Fairgrounds, but as I looked around at all of the perfectly groomed dogs, I realized that its not a life I would want for my dogs. At least the "show" part.

I went early Sunday morning to see the judging of the Goldens, and I have to say they did look absolutely gorgeous, stately, even regal. But not particularly happy. They sat quietly on their grooming tables or in their kennels waiting patiently for their turn to dazzle the judges with their perfectly coiffed ears and tails, and silky smooth coats with feathers flowing in the wind. Yes, they were beautiful indeed.




But they didn't look like they were having fun. I couldn't imagine any of these beauties romping in a dog park, rolling in the sand, or wrestling in the mud with a buddy. I couldn't imagine keeping my furbabies from rough-housing and getting all slobbery and having fun. But that's just me. I'm sure that many of those dogs do lead a "normal" dog life of ruff and tumble fun, and that some people can balance that kind of stuff...I'm just not one of them. (But then again, as beautiful as I believe my two daughters are, I would never, ever have considered entering them in any beauty pageants when they were little...it's just not my "thing")

Now, the agility trails were a different story all together. Those dogs, although not as "pristine" as the "show" dogs, looked like they were having a BLAST! Everyone of them was eager to run the courses, and seemed to be beaming as they maneuvered through the weave poles, launched over the jumps and flew through the tunnels. Yup, now those were some happy dogs!



3 comments:

donna said...

Darwin was banned from the groomers after the blow dryer scared him, he pooped in the tub and they had to bathe him all over again. He wouldn't ever want to be a show dog and have to do that all the time, that's for sure.

But he didn't like all the agility equipment either, even though he happily leaps all over the yard, scampers up the back wall onto the hill, runs around the short wall on the side patio, etc.

Hey, he's an awesome therapy dog, though. They all have their special skills! And even if not, we still love 'em.

Pipa said...

Wonderful post. Wonderful post!
As for me, I love mud mud MUD! And eating grass, and romping into the water. :)



Pipa

Valerie Cummings said...

Yes I believe there should be a mud dog show!!!! Those are great pictures Sue and you captured the emotions so well! Agility looks like much more fun! Hugs, Joey and Kealani