Friday, February 20, 2009

A "One Day" Get-away

I went on a cruise yesterday. Now, I'm back. It was a one day cruise. Seriously, on a great, big, gorgeous ship and everything. We went out about 5 miles into the ocean, did a bunch of ginormous circles, and came back into port this morning.

This all came about because my friend Lisa is a travel agent, and her specialty is selling cruise vacations. Sometimes in her line of work you get these cool little perks, and this was one of them. This was called an inaugural "cruise to no where" and was basically designed to introduce a whole bunch of travel agents to this ship. The cruise line invites all of these agents (who are allowed to bring one guest each, that's where I come in...) to come and see the ship, look at the different classes of state rooms, eat in the restaurants, visit the bars, see the shows, etc., so then they can go home, and start telling all of their customers how awesome the ship is, and why they should book a vacation on it.

This particular ship was Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas. Saying that the ship is awesome is a total understatement. It was fabulous! (Even if we were only on it for roughly 20 hours!) I've been on quite a few cruise ships, on several different lines, but this one was the cream of the crop from what I've experienced so far. The pictures I'm going to share don't do it justice. Even Norm, the Gnome (my travel companion) was impressed - (those pictures will come soon). Oh, by the way, did I mention this little adventure, food, drinks & all was FREE? Who can beat FREE? Oh, I LOVE FREE!


Yes, I think it's safe to say I could be happy on a ship like this for a couple of days...or weeks... or longer!

The gorgeous Mariner of the Seas

Looking down from the 8th floor onto the "Promonade" shopping area.

One of the many banks of elevators.

Looking down into the dining room
One of the stained glass windows in a cool little bar/dance area called the "Dragon's Lair"
One of the several pool areas on the ship; this is the "Solarium"
Another of the pool areas.
A carved watermelon
The end of the ice skating show - that's right, this ship has an ice rink on it! (It also has a rock climbing wall, a full sized basket ball court, video game lounge, running track, ping pong tables, huge gym....you name it!)
Looking down onto the main pool deck.
It also has a mini golf course
There are tons of things to do on this ship!
Leaving the port of Los Angeles
It was a short little trip, but really a great time...with tons of great food! In fact, I'm still full!

7 comments:

Valerie Cummings said...

Looks like fun and its amazing something like that floats! Wow! Oh and I love free!!! Hugs, Val

NCmountainwoman said...

Wow! That is quite a ship. A day cruise is all that I would want. I've never wanted to go on a cruise. But I would definitely like to spend the day on such a fine ship.

Kelli said...

Ooooh neato! How cool is a free mini-getaway! Love the pics!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue! I'm glad you had a nice time. That looks like quite a ship, but where was the dog area? (Hm... are you sure that was a mini golf course?)

See ya!
Joey

kks said...

wow, too much....i've never been on a cruise...but can see where for some it would be an all inclusive!!!

Coffee Talk with Shar said...

Holy Cow - what a SHIP!!! How cool is that that you get to go with Lisa for FREE??? Someday I'm going to overcome my fear of getting sea sick and try a cruise - if I can get on a ship like that, though, I might never leave it!!!

Chris and Mackenzie said...

I need to take up watermelon carving. You know, in my spare time.

:)