Monday, July 7, 2008

Uninvited Guest


I found this little bugger lurking around our patio furniture this weekend. My hubby had told me that he'd seen Black Widows in our backyard in the past, and then promptly smooched them, but I don't recall ever having seen one this close up. I grabbed my camera, took the picture, then whipped off my flig-flop, and well, the rest is history. I kind of felt bad for a couple of seconds, and then I got over it, reminding myself that I am pretty alergic to spider bites of any type, and I didn't want to me or anyone else becoming this little gal's midnight snack.

5 comments:

Valerie Cummings said...

Wow! Yikes! THats scary!

Curt Rogers said...

Yikes is right! Black Widows can be hell on pets, too!

Chris H said...

I hate spiders, don't know if I could have beared going near it to kill it even! IKKYYY scary things. *shudder*

Chris and Mackenzie said...

I had to spray my monitor, you know, just in case.

Anniessa said...

My brother was bitten by a BWS ... let me tell you it is nothing you'd wish on anyone! He was in Children's for almost a week and there's nothing they can do but try to ease the pain.

And for those who wish to know, he was bitten by a rattlesnake a few years later and said he'd take the snake - hands down, any day - over the black widow.

So when you spot these guys, smash fast (they jump) and smash often!