Monday, July 7, 2008

So long, farewell, until we meet next year

I made my final trip to the San Diego County Fair (forever known to the locals as the "Del Mar Fair") yesterday. I walked through the midway feeling a bit melancholy as I searched the booths for one last fried delight that might have escaped me on my four previous visits. I was disappointed to find that I'd pretty much covered it all - nothing jumped out at me, including those poor little "fried frog legs" that I'm sure were a big hit with some people, just not me. (I do, however, vaguely recall eating frog legs in the past, many years ago, when I was a very young girl, and having my Mom tell me "they taste like chicken, don't they?" Yes, Mom, sure they do....) Why is it that everything gross that people encourage you to taste will taste "like chicken"? Listen, I am a chicken lover, not the chicken with beaks, the chicken with all of those special herbs and spices. Frog legs do not taste like chicken. Don't try to fool me.

As I strolled one last time, between the Australian Battered Potato Booth and the Icee Booth, featuring Mile Long Hot Dogs, I began to reminisce about my previous 4 visits and all of the delightful food I'd enjoyed, or at least sampled by stealing a bite from one of my kids...the list, sadly is quite extensive...here they are, in no particular order, some of the best of the best...the San Diego County fair goodies, consumed (or at least sampled) by yours truly...

  1. bloomin' onion
  2. teriyaki chicken stick
  3. teriyaki beef stick
  4. fried zucchini
  5. cinnamon roll (2 of these over the course of the 5 visits)
  6. Carmel apple tower
  7. pan fried chicken
  8. corn dog
  9. frozen cheesecake
  10. soft serve ice cream (swirled vanilla and chocolate)
  11. kettle corn
  12. turkey leg
  13. roasted corn on the cob
  14. sour dough pizza bread
  15. cheese burger
  16. tasty chips

Geeze, kinda scary when I put it all out there...that, and the fact that I'm probably forgetting something. Oh, yes, diet coke....lots of diet coke, I had to compensate somehow!


5 comments:

Chris and Mackenzie said...

Diet Coke? Why didn't you saw so? DC totally cancels all the other stuff out. :)

Chris

Chris H said...

I COMMEND you on mangaging to eat all that.... and for washing it all down with Diet Coke! I mean, WHAT ELSE COULD YOU DRINK???

Shirl said...

Mmmm.... Kettle Korn, my favorite. No, wait... Cinnamon Rolls are my favorite. Maybe it's the Carmel Apple Tower. How many days until the 2009 Del Mar Fair?

Unknown said...

Only 338 days until Fair 2009! (Not that I'm counting or anything!)

Bogart said...

Oh how I miss the Del Mar Fair and those Australian Battered Potatoes.