Thursday, July 24, 2008

I've had better mornings...a rambling rant....

Ever have one of those mornings when you get up, and within just a few short minutes you figure that you probably should have stayed in bed? Yeah? Well, welcome to my morning...

I drug myself out of bed...later than I should have, and stumbled into Bear's room to roust her out of bed. We were due for a 5 miler this morning, and she was having no part of it. "Mom, I'm SOOOO tired, and my back hurts." OK, so I'm on my own today...no biggie...I trudge to the bathroom, back to the bedroom, by now all 3 dogs have heard me, and are ready to start the day with running, jumping, barking, and all that fun stuff that I have NO energy to deal with this morning. I find my walking cloths, grab my shoes, and head to the living room. I grab my water, backpack, and protein bar, mmm - yummy breakfast (I'd MUCH rather be having Chicken Fried Chicken, 2 eggs - over medium, hash browns, and pancakes, with a large glass of Ice Tea, please! - And I wonder why I'm "plus" size! Ha!) I get all of my stuff together and head out to the driveway and get into the P.O.S. rental car that we still have. (Nothing new on the stolen car...it's been two weeks today since it was taken, and a week since we heard that it was sitting in an impound lot somewhere in TJ, and yet, here we are, still waiting for some new information....)

A few minutes later I find myself at the lake. I sling on my backpack, and hit the little buttons to get the music going. I know I cannot walk without music today. I wait for a second, hit the buttons again, and nothing...I take the backpack off, check out my IPod, looks OK, put it back into the backpack, hit the buttons, nothing...hmmm, I'm not in the mood for this today...jiggle the wires a little bit, because, you know, when anything electronic isn't working it always helps to jiggle the wires a little, right? Nothing. Frustration...OK, let's try this again...power off, power on, jiggle. Power off, power on, and HEY - wait! Did I just here music? Well, yes, I did, thank you very much. So it sounds a little scratchy, and it's only coming from one speaker, but it's music! Yahoo! On goes the backpack and off I start walking...without stretching. Bad, bad, bad. I walk about 1/4 mile...wow, my left shin is hurting...crap, I realize that I forgot to stretch....better late than never, right? Wrong. Too late. My shin feels like a rubber band that has been pulled to the breaking point. NOT GOOD. I decide to try walking a bit further...come on now...I'm supposed to be walking 5 miles today. The music starts to cut in and out...scratchy, mumbled, and finally gone altogether...the shin is killing me. I'm at the 1/2 mile marker. I'm done. I turn around, in shame, and begin hobbling back to the P.O.S. rental. In silence. I should have stayed in bed...

I manage, at last, to get back to the car, shin in agony, and mad at the world. I loved that backpack, and now it's let me down. I could have walked farther if I'd had my musical inspiration, I just know it...

I get home, call the Hubby at work to tell him of my disappointment - with the walk, with the shin, with the backpack, and he comes back with a stroke of brilliance..."Have you check the batteries Honey?" Uh, hello. Batteries? Nope, can't say that I checked the batteries....

Sooooo......the new batteries are now in, the backpack sounds perfect, the shin still hurting...and I'm heading for a nap. Have a delightful day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwww... I'm sorry your morning went that way. Unfortunately, I've had my share of that type of thing. I hope things are better after your nap!

Valerie Cummings said...

Oh man! SPF 50 girlfriend