Monday, December 1, 2008

Things I learned, and observations about the 3 Day.

It's been a full week now since I finished the 3 Day, 60 Mile walk. In the past couple of days, and especially on Thanksgiving, I found myself with a little time to reflect on the experience of doing an event like this.

Here they are, in no particular order...things I learned, and some observations about a 60 Mile walk.

  • Absolutley nothing can prepare you for what you will experience over a 3 day adventure like this.
  • The kindness and generosity of strangers is truly overwhelming.
  • Nothing can replace good training.
  • A good training schedule is very hard to follow.
  • It is worth every penny to have good walking shoes. Several pairs of them.
  • Body Glide works, I would swear by it.
  • Icey cold peanut butter and jelly "uncrustibles" rock when it's hot outside and you are hungry.
  • Propel water is like necter of the Gods when you are thirsty - especially the grape flavor.
  • Just because you train for months, and walk 60 miles over the course of 3 days, it does NOT mean you are going to loose any weight. Seriously, not a friggin pound. Whatever.
  • You can walk 60 miles without getting blisters. This is a new lesson for me, because when I walked in 2006 I had blisters on my feet the size of tangerines. Seriously. Bad.
  • Skinny girls get blisters. (Is it mean that I smiled every time I walked by a medical tent and saw lots of skinny girls -who more than likely thought they could just stroll through 60 miles- in pain as they got their blisters lanced and bandaged? Yeah? Well, then I'm a mean person.)
  • Real men look HOT in pink, and in tutus, kilts, leather chaps and shorts, and in crazy shirts with "boob" sayings on them.

  • I have an AWESOME group of friends. They came out and cheered until they were hoarse, not only for our team, but for all of the people that needed encouragement. Jill, Jeremy, Lisa, Valerie, Berenice, Dion, Joe, Jessica, Yoshi, Aaron, Nicole, Alisa, Kyle, Karen, Ben, Yoshiko, Ashley, Mom, Stella, Leanna, Haley, Barbara & Mary...to name a few...
  • It takes a real friend to come out on day 3 and give you a foot rub at lunch, after you've walked 50 miles in the last 2 1/2 days. Jeremy, your rock!

  • It takes real friends to pitch in when they are needed, without being asked, helping with dinners, shuffling cars, snacks, support, etc. Thank you Lisa for all you did for our team for those 3 days!
  • Our husbands are the BEST! Not that I didn't already know that, but I wanted to be sure to mention it again. We simply could not have done this without their love and support. Ed, Rob, we love you "Melon Men"! And it's ok that you had 4,600 girlfriends that weekend. We get to come home with you.

Reality stars are real people. We got the chance to meet Craig Slike, from this past summer's season of "The Mole." He was walking in the 3 day with us, and it was his 4th time walking. He lives here in San Diego, and seemed to be a really cool, very nice man. Hubby and him really hit it off over the course of the 3 days, and it was fun getting to know him a bit.

  • Anything, and I do mean anything goes at an event like this. There is no political correctness. It's ok to talk about body parts. Especially boobs.

  • There are more nicknames for breasts than I ever thought imaginable. Seriously, hundreds of them. It was a riot.

  • Four words can bring tears to my eyes, instantly. BLISTERS DON'T NEED CHEMO. If that doesn't make you want to keep walking, nothing will.

**Blogger formatting can make me crazy!**

2 comments:

Shirl said...

I couldn't have said any of that better. We do have the best hubbies in the world! We are blessed with incredible friends. And real men do look hot in pink, especially San Jose cops!

Oh, wait. I do have one thing to add. Finishing the 3-day, 60-mile walk makes you feel incredibly strong - stronger than you ever thought you were.

Travel girl said...

You girls rock for walking all 60 miles. The best I could do was support you and help in the kitchen. It was an honor to help and support.
For all of you that could not make it out there let me just tell you. They do have the best husbands around. Those 2 Melon men (hubbies) had a blast cheering everyone on but it truly was making sure their wives were ok and had everything they needed. It was a sight too see.
I am blessed to have such awesome friends.