Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Crush of the Week - Captain Phil Harris

I've been busy lately...too busy to do fun stuff like blog, or comment on other's blogs. It's not just an excuse...I've really been swamped....I meant to get my crush of the week post up yesterday, but the time slipped by, and by early evening I was pooped, and just wanted to sit on the couch with Hubby, watch American Idol (what can I say, I still love that show) and Lost.

I've got a long list of future crushes of the week to blog about, but no one stuck out in my mind yesterday. Then I woke up this morning and saw that one of my crushes, Captain Phil Harris of the Cornelia Marie, from the Discovery Channel's "The Deadliest Catch" had passed away.

I knew he'd suffered a stroke on Jan. 29th, but had heard that he was doing well and continuing to improve daily. Apparently he took a turn for the worse yesterday, and died last night. He was only 53 years old. Of course I didn't know him personally, but his death brought me to tears. He was one of those characters that you just know you would hit if off with if you met him in a bar somewhere....he had two sons that were on the show with him, and although there was always a lot of yelling between the three of the, you could tell that he was a teddy bear at heart, and loved those boys with every ounce of his being.

Captain Phil was a hell of a guy...a hell of a good guy. I, along with millions of others, will miss him terribly. I guess there will be no more ads like this one from last Mother's Day that made me laugh out loud...rest in peace Phil.

4 comments:

Najia said...

I love Deadliest Catch, and I always thought Phil was a hoot. I will miss him too. I feel terrible for his sons. :-(

kks said...

i love AI too!
hubby and i used to watch the deadliest catch and yes, what a sad, much too young, loss....
i had to go back and watch the mother's day clip...love it!
xo

Valerie Cummings said...

Oh no! I didnt hear about that! Im so sad! I loved him!!! Val

Chris H said...

It certainly was sad to read of his death.
But he was not a crush of mine... I am still drooling over Brad... oooooh Brad.... *sigh*