Friday, February 5, 2010

Yup! I've Gone and Done It Again!

I've made the commitment to walk again this year in the Susan G. Komen 3 Day, 60 Mile Breast Cancer Walk! This year's San Diego walk will take place from November 19th thru the 21st. I know, I know, call me crazy, but I'm already excited! I walked in both 2006 and 2008, and I'm ready for the challenge again! Training doesn't officially start until June, but I'm ready to hit the pavement now!
A little history of my past walks...
In 2006 I walked by myself. I was part of a team called "Walk with me" but I only ever met one other member of the team, and other than her, my training partner was Hubby. It was a tough, emotional couple of days for me...
I had so many blisters that I felt like I was walking on bubble wrap! It was NASTY! Thank God for loving friends that took awesome care of me, and my tootsies!
Having a great crew made the difference in me walking and giving up.
Of course I would never have been able to do it without Hubby's help, devotion and love!
My incredible family was there with me all the way!
And of course it's always cool to have some totally hot guys waiting for me at the finish line!
By the end of the 60 miles I was exhausted and exhilarated, and thinking of doing it again!
The day after the walk, I had to go and get a cast on my right foot. I'd gone against my doctor's recommendation and walked the 60 miles. I had a nasty bone spur on my right heel that was cutting into my Achilles tendon. Not fun....but I'd made the commitment to walk, and walk I did!

I took 2007 off from walking because I wound up having surgery on my foot in March. It took a while to heal, but the result was worth the wait. Walking without pain is so much better!

In 2008 it was time to walk again, but after having learned how tough it was to walk on my own, I decided to create my own team, and hence, "60 Miles for Our Melons" was born. I recruited Bear, and my dear friend Shirley to walk with me. Our many, many early morning walks, and training sessions were a great bonding experience, and made the journey so much more enjoyable.


Day 1, we were ready! (Ok, sleepy, but ready!)
"No whining, whining causes blisters..." I LOVE that! It was great to get to the top of the biggest hill of the first day... and finding a special friend waiting for us!
the support of our "melon patch" crew made all of the difference!and when you see beautiful young women battling for their lives, it makes 60 miles seem like a cake walk.
Yes, the 3 Day walk in 2008 was a fantastic experience, and all the more reason why I am so excited to take on the challenge again.
I took 2009 off again, in anticipation of surgery on my other foot...luckily, that never had to happen, but by the time I learned I was "good to go" it was too late for me to start training, etc. I decided to wait...and low and behold, here I am!
The 2010 walk will be another life changing event. You just can't go through something like this and not come out changed for the better. I am so looking forward to this next chapter in my 3 Day experience!
You may have noticed that I've put a link to my fund raising page on my side bar. If you feel so inclined, please feel free to make a donation and help me reach my personal fundraising goal of $2500. I know times are tough, but every dollar will help. Thanks for your consideration.

4 comments:

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

They do the walk here in Washington DC too, and I have several friends who have done it--It's such a wonderful cause, and I admire you and everyone who are part of it!!!
(I LOVE your team name!!!)

Chris H said...

You ROCK! and I can't wait to see what t-shirt design you wear this year! lol

♥I am Holly♥ said...

I really admire you for doing that walk!! A great cause!!!

Golden Samantha said...

That is absolutely pawsome that you not only are doing this again, but have done it twice before! What a journey for you as well as those you are doing it for - I am inspired and furry moved! And totally creative idea for the group name!
Big Hugs Miche and Sammie