Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Beach Buddies

This past weekend I'd scheduled a meetup for the Golden Retriever group I organize. We had over 70 members RSVP'd to come...and then it started raining. On and off throughout the week it rained....not any torrential downpour or anything, but just enough to make things wet and cold.
Great - rain and the beach don't mix. Oh, it's not that the dogs would mind it, but it's dangerous because the runoff from the rain creates high bacteria levels in the water. I was contemplating canceling the meetup all week, but I really didn't want to because the last two meetups (both were hikes) were canceled. I know, I know, I shouldn't complain about our drizzly little weather, but it's just that the timing was bad.

Anyway...I waited...and sent out updates, and kept my fingers crossed. It barely sprinkled Friday night, and I held my breath. I woke up early Saturday morning to blue skies and sunshine! I sent out a note to the group that the meetup was still on, and I'd see everyone at the beach. We loaded up our gaggle and headed west.

And then it rained....I mean POURED on the way to the beach. Crap! Oh well, there was no turning back...I figured that I'd just stay in the car, and when I saw other members showing up, I'd send them on their way. There would be no beach fun for our pups....

Well, little did I know that Someone upstairs was playing tricks with me. The beach we were going to (Del Mar) is about 12 miles from our house. When we were about 3 miles away, and coming down a hill to where I could see the coastline, all I saw was a gorgeous blue sky and big, puffy white clouds. There was no rain in site! Yahoo!

We got to meet with some of our wonderful golden friends, and even though there was not nearly the 70 members there that had originally RSVP'd - we had a great turnout and a total blast!

Photo courtesy of Wes Taylor

Photo courtesy of Wes Taylor
Photo courtesy of Chris Wagner
Photo courtesy of me.


Thanks to members Chris & Wes for letting me post their pictures. Sometimes I get so busy chatting that I forget to get my camera out!

4 comments:

Meeka said...

I missed all the fun and my friends. I'll catch up with you guys soon.
Escargot? Is that what those slimy suckers are called? I picked up one in the backyard and ate the shell and spit out the rest in the carpet. Mom not too happy. Haven't messed with them since then.

Najia said...

How wonderful! I'm so sorry I missed the meetup. I had it all planned out, had helpers to wrangle my three and everything, and then found out I had to work all weekend. We're in trial in El Centro beginning this week, sucks!!! And I just realized I didn't go to the site and update my RSVP. Sorry Sue!!!

Looks like it was a blast. Hopefully you'll do Del Mar again soon. xoxoxo

Chris H said...

The beaches in San Diago look about as beautiful as ours!

♥I am Holly♥ said...

I cannot even begin to imagine the fun everyone had there!! I love the pictures and hope that I dream tonight of being there!! Love to you, Debbie and Hollydog