Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Week in Review

My, my, what a busy week! Here is a brief (OK, maybe not so brief) overview of everything that's kept me busy this week!


Monday - Bear's 23rd birthday. She and I spent the morning together, with brunch out, and an early movie. We saw "Law Abiding Citizen" with Gerard Butler, and both of us really enjoyed it. After the movie, Kona and I went to our regular VA visit, and had a grand time. We met up with some of our other Golden friends, and a Golden Doodle friend, Caleb. (Kona is on the right, I'm taking the picture.)
Monday evening my parents joined us for a casual dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory in downtown San Diego. After dinner Bear went out with some friends to continue her birthday celebration.
Tuesday was the day we had to say goodbye to some wonderful new found friends. Simona and Marco (Mom and Dad of Paco, Milo and Maya) from Italy had been visiting with our friend Val, just across the street, and we were able to spend some brief, but very fun time with them. I haven't said much about their visit because I have been so busy and don't want to rush through the post about them. They are such wonderful, sweet and warm people, I just fell in love! Meeting them both, and instantly making a connection reinforced my belief that the world is basically a wonderful place, with fantastic, warm and loving people in it. I will post more about their visit very soon, I promise. But in the mean time I wanted to share these few pictures from their last day here in San Diego. We did a little sight seeing, I took them to the Cabrillo National Monument in Point Loma, and visited the tide pools. It was a lot of fun, and a nice way to spend the afternoon.


Tuesday evening we got together with another blogger friend, Milo, Laverne and Shirley's Mom, and we had a wonderful dinner at an Afghani restaurant close by. It was great food, but the company is what made the evening so magical. It was the perfect send off for our new friends - and an evening I'm sure we'll all remember!

The Four Blogger Buddies!
A last hug with Simona and Marco, our new found friends from Italy!
Wednesday was AJ's 17th birthday. He is such a great kid - low maintenance and very easy going. I made a special birthday dinner for him, including his favorites - bone in rib eye steak, cheesy hash brown potato casserole, and marzipan cake. He was tickled with his presents, and it was a pleasant evening. Can you tell what his other nickname is?
My parents came over to celebrate with us, and the only bummer was that my Dad wasn't feeling well. I mean seriously wasn't feeling well at all. Shortness of breath, very low energy, minimal appetite...all red flags...I began to worry.
Thursday was another movie day for me. Yay! Two movies in a week was a real treat for me. I went to see Michael Jackson's "This is It." I thought it was really great. I'm not the biggest Michael Jackson fan, and I know a lot of people have very strong feelings one way or the other about him, but I went with an open mind, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't think anyone can deny his huge talent.

Friday started off with Pickle getting her wisdom teeth removed, and ended with my Dad going into the hospital. Needless to say, I've had better days. Pickle was in quite a bit of pain, but never complained once. (She still hasn't!) What a strong girl she is!
Here she is on the way home from her oral surgery - glassy eyed and puffy-cheeked.
My Dad's breathing was becoming more labored throughout the day, and when his doctor called to give him some test results of procedures he'd had done earlier in he week, he decided it was time to get him into the hospital. Trouble getting a deep breath, fluid retention, etc. are all big red flags, and it was time to do more than just sit around. In he went, where they've been giving him oxygen, and adjusting his meds ever since.

Saturday Hubby and I got rolling pretty early and decided that it was time to get the rest of the Halloween stuff put away. We took our time, arranged, sorted, and threw out some stuff. We made a run to the donation center, returned some stuff to Home Depot, and made a stop at the recycle center, where we turned in all of the bottles and cans from the party and got back $31.00. Not too bad! By the late afternoon we were ready to get everything back up into the attic, so with the help of our neighbor, "The Tall Guy" and another strapping young teenage boy in the neighborhood, all of the bins and boxes got put up and stored away until the next party.

Saturday evening it was time to go to visit Dad in the hospital. Pickle was up for a little change of scenery, and I thought it would be nice to take Kona with us too. Pickle was funny and made herself a T-shirt that says, "I know my face is swollen..." on the back it said, " I just got my wisdom teeth removed." She wore it to the hospital, and got a kick out of the reactions she got.

Poor thing, the swelling has really kicked in today, and she looks like a chipmunk! Still not one complaint from her though.

And finally, today....Sunday. Again Hubby and I got an early start, and with AJ we loaded up all of the left over wood from the Halloween sets we'd made. We borrowed "The Tall Guy's" truck and took a VERY full load to the dump. They weighed the truck going in and coming out...We got rid of exactly 1,200 lbs. of stuff! Incredible! Thank goodness for neighbors with trucks! It felt great to get everything in the back yard cleaned up and back to the way it is supposed to be.

Shortly after our return from the dump, I decided it was time to get the pups some long missed exercise. Val and I got in our cars, and both headed down to Fiesta Island. It was a beautiful day to be out and about with the dogs, and they all really enjoyed their walk and swim. At first it wasn't my intention to let them swim, but once we were there, there wasn't much stopping them. They ran and swam and ran and swam some more! It was a nice treat for them, and Fiesta Island is such a great place to take them this time of year - all of the weeds have been mowed down, and there aren't many fox tails around.

Heading back towards the cars...they were done!
Of course giving them all a bath once we get home isn't the most fun thing to do when you are tired, but seeing them have so much fun, and wearing themselves out was totally worth the work we had to do once I got them home. Thankfully Hubby helped get them all cleaned up, and we were done in no time.

This evening we'll be heading down to the hospital again, and hoping to see some improvement. Please send good vibes this way.

Have a great week!

6 comments:

Valerie Cummings said...

Ah sending you warm hugs and kisses for pops! Thanks for a wonderful day at Fiesta island! My pups are pooped! I really like your post about the week! It was awesome! Missing Simona and Marco though :(
Hugs Joey and Kealani

Coffee Talk with Shar said...

You're right - it was a true pleasure to get to meet Simona and Marco at the GR Meet-up - they are wonderful!

So sorry to hear about Dad - he really is a trooper and we wish him the very best.

I am so glad Pickle is doing well, and it just doesn't seem right that AJ and Bear are growing up so fast! UGH!

Love you all,
Kim and Shar

Golden Samantha said...

Yikes! First things first: our bestest and mostest good wishes go out to your dad for a quick recovery. So sorry he is in the hospital. I know Kona will help him feel better. Loved reading your intense week-in-review - good grief, you're a busy lady. (Tell your gorgeous daughter that in the picture, her face doesn't look swollen at all - really - she looks amazing for having had that surgery. The poundage of your Halloween decs is stunning - I'm amazed by your energy to pull it all together - not only this year... but every year. Incredible. And finally... agreed. Marco and Simona are amazingly warm and generous people, who we miss every day. So are you and Val and everyone we met. We miss everyone down there so much and hope to visit again soon... and on and on. Must write you a letter to let you all know how we are still reeling from the love we got from everyone in SoCal!!! Thank you!!! You are amazing! (And Fiesta Island looks so cool! - it's freezing here now!)
Hugs xo
Sammie et al

Najia said...

You are a great daughter and mom, Sue, and you are setting a tremendous example for your children. They are all easygoing and gentle spirited. Bubba, Bear, and Pickle. What a bunch. And then you throw in Jack, Jill, and Kona...don't forget Hubster! :-) Great, great family. What a great time we had.

I agree with Samantha's mom...Pickle looks none the worse for wear, pretty as ever. We should all weather wisdom teeth pulled so attractively. Your father looks so content to be surrounded by his family's love, and that includes handsome Kona. Love is the best medicine, and here is to his continued health and improvement.

Hugs to you and your family...

Najia said...

Oh, the only thing missing from our great group shot is Bear! :-( Any way we can photoshop her in there...? It's not complete without her. :-)

Chris H said...

I hope your Dad is starting to feel better.
YOu certainly had a busy week.