Thursday, November 26, 2009

3 Day Wrap Up

I wanted to share a couple more of my favorite pictures from this past weekend's 3 Day walk.  There were SO many, it was hard to decide which to pick. The enitre 3 days were full of heartwarming moments and special memories. It felt, at times, as though my heart would burst from the shear emotion of being there. What an incredible feeling!

Running into our old friend from previous walks "Mr. January" of the 60 Mile Men organization. What a wonderful man with an incredible heart! 

Pickle was there to cheer on Bear's friends Ashley and Heather too! How cool is it that these 2 young ladies made the decision to walk for this fantastic cause, dedicated themselves to do the training it would take, and raise so much money. It made my heart happy!

Pickle at the finish line with one of our favorite faces we saw along the way each day.  At one point he'd yelled at Hubby to "shake his money maker..." and Hubby yelled back for him to "shake his bunny maker" - needless to say, that little volley continued each day every time we saw each other.  It was a lot of fun!

Shirley greeting our friend Raellyn at the finish line.  This little lady is one of the toughest cookies I know! This year she walked with a screwed up knee, and still had a smile on her face for every step of the 60 miles. She is a heck of an inspiration.

My turn to hug Raellyn, my mentor from my first walk, in 2006.  When we first started training together she was 61 years old and could run circles around me...she still can!  What a powerhouse! I just love her beautiful spirit!

Mr. January up close and gorgeous, inside and out.  This is one hell of a guy.  Check out what he does on www.60milemen.org

 This lovely woman recognized Hubby from the walk last year, and remembered all of the support he gave her - at one point even walking with her for a while to keep her spirits up.  We first ran into her on Saturday morning, and she greeted him with a "THERE YOU ARE!!! I look for you all day yesterday!"  It was like a mother and son reuniting after not having seen each other for a year.  Totally one of tthose moments when I thought my heart would burst!  It was so touching to Hubby to realized that his being out there REALLY does make a difference to people.  Awesome is an understatement.  We saw her all along the route this year, and I was so happy to capture these images of her as she crossed the finish line and saw Hubby standing there. I think these are my very, very favorite pictures I've ever taken at the 3 Day. The joy was overwhelming. I've got her name and address and I'm going to send these to her.



The Smartie was in action all weekend too!

It was fantastic to see so much support out along the route. 


All in all, the Breast Cancer 3 Day, 60 Mile walk continues to be one of the best things I partake in each year. It reminds me, year after year, of the goodness in people, the strength and the fortitude people of all ages, sizes and shapes have.

It reminds me that the kindness of strangers can move mountains, that you shouldn't sweat the small stuff, and in the long run, it's all small stuff.



3 comments:

Paco,Milo, Maya and mommy Simona said...

Awwwwwwwwwwww Sue...what a great great post.....
I can feel all the love and the friendship you received during the walkie!!!!
How much I would love were there with you and all your wonderful friends....
Hope to be there with you next year....will be an honor for me sharing days like these with you!!!!
You're a great woman.....and I love you a lot!!!!!!
SMACK!!!!

Sierra Rose said...

Wow wow wow! A tearful, joyful amazing post Sue! The heart you share through sharing this event is congateous!
Warm wishes for this blessing.

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose and mom

Valerie Cummings said...

What an awesome post and I love that picture at the end with your friend hugging Rob at the end of the race! What a great guy he is! And you are so awesome!!! You fill my heart! Hugs JOey and Kealani