Thursday, November 26, 2009

So Very Thankful!

Today I've found myself reflecting on this year. Admittedly it's been one of our roughest years in recent memory, on many different levels - financially, health wise, emotionally, you name it. I've mourned the sudden loss of a friend, I've for grieved over the deaths of friends' pets, and witnessed a family say goodbye to a loved one that was hours away from passing. Some dark moments for sure.

But today, more than anything else, I find that I have so very many, many things to truly be thankful for.

I am incredibly thankful that I will be enjoying a Thanksgiving feast with my parents this afternoon. Both parents. I am blessed beyond words.

I am thankful for my family. They stand with me every day, support me, listen to my complaints, my silly ideas, my dreams, and my disasters. My children are the best children a woman could ever hope for. They are strong, intelligent, loving, beautiful, kind hearted and soulful beings. My Husband is the yin to my yang. He is with me through the laughter and the tears, and everything in between. He makes my life complete, he really does. I feel so very lucky to have found my soul mate.

I am thankful for my brother and his beautiful family in Fort Worth, Texas. Although we aren't able to see each other often, I know he is just a phone call away, and is always there for me. It wasn't always like that between us, but I'm sure glad it is now.

I am thankful for my dogs. They have brought more joy to my life than I thought was possible. Because of them I have stepped out of my comfort zone by organizing the Golden group. Because of them I've met some incredible people with a shared interest in Goldens, and I know many of these new friends will be life long friends. Because of them I started this blog. I felt that I would have something to talk about on at least a semi regular basis, and have few fun things to share with others.

I am eternally thankful for this blog. Seriously! It has given me something to do when I've been bored. It has opened my mind to an entirely new world. Through this blog I've connected with people all around the world - and made even more wonderful friends. Simona and Marco, Valerie, Najia, Chris H., Monika, Miche & Bill, Chris and Mackenzie, Curt and Duncan, Kim, and Bogart, just to name a few. I love you all, and you have added so much to my life!


I am thankful for my oldest friends. I was fortunate to be able to spend a few hours with a very special friend this week, Doug. I've loved him since the first day of 7th grade in September of 1976, and I love him still today. He will always hold a very special piece of my heart. (He is in the checkered shirt) Shirley, I've known you since the 3rd grade and you are the closest thing to a sister I will ever have.


I have a lot of people in my life that I've been friends with for a very long time, and I am thankful for each and every one of them. They've each enriched my life beyond measure. You know who you are, and I hope you know how much I love you.

I've also been lucky in the last few years to welcome some new friends into my life. These people may have only known me for a short time, but have come to understand me and become very important to me. I am thankful for each and every one of them too.

Another thing I am thankful for this year is FaceBook. I know that may sound silly, but over the course of the last year I've been able to reconnect with long lost friends that I would have never, ever been able to find without it. Just two days ago I received a friend request from someone I hadn't heard from in over 10 years! I was thrilled. Yes, I'm thankful for FaceBook.

I am thankful for having realized some of my true passions in life. Not only my family and friends, but things that touch my heart in unexpected ways. The Breast Cancer 3 Day Walk, participating in Dog Therapy, my Golden Group, and photography all sit at the top of my list.

The last few random things I'm thankful for today are Susan Boyle (I love her, what can I say?), the nurse that let me and Hubby into my friend Merrill's hospital room last night, when we probably shouldn't have been allowed in, and the fact that I only had to make green bean casserole, and deviled eggs for our Thanksgiving feast today (Mom is handling the rest!)

My life is full and I am richer with life's rewards than most people can ever hope to be. For that and so much more, I am thankful.

5 comments:

Valerie Cummings said...

OMG what a warm post! I know Im so thankful for our friendship! You and your family are very special to me! I love you guys! Hugs, Valerie Joey and Kealani

Scout and Freyja said...

Wishing you and yours the most blessed of days as we break bread with friends and family or spend our time as a volunteer with any one of the numerous charities in need of our time and talents.

Peace, plenty, prosperity - my wish for the United States of America.

Golden Samantha said...

I am so moved by this post, Sue. Chills are moving up and down my spine as I contemplate the depth and breadth of your gratitude for all the miracles in your life. thanks so much for posting - I, too, have a long list of things I'm grateful for and will post about that sometime, but for now, having read your "list," and knowing how much YOU do for others, I remain totally amazed and mute! Sammie says WOOF!
Hope the pups got tons of leftovers!
Hugs xo
Sammie et al

Paco,Milo, Maya and mommy Simona said...

Awwwwwwwww.......
What a sweet post Sue....
Just like you!!!!!!!!
You'e soooooooo special for me and my family.....
we're thankul for all lthe happiness and love and kindness and friendship and joy you give us!!!!!!!
You're our family now.....we couldn't live without you!!!
You're my hero....and hope to realize tons of wonderful things like you done!!!!!!
Wish you a great life and tons of others wonderful and special moments!!!!!!
WE LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!

Homer said...

Hi Sue,

We want to send you a Christmas card. Can you please give us your address to homerbeadling@gmail.com

Love,
Homer