Friday, November 20, 2009

The 3 Day is Back!

Yes! It's that time of year again! Time when thousands of people, dressed predominately in pink, take to the streets and walk for 3 days and a total of 60 miles to raise funds to help find a cure for breast cancer.

As most of you know, I walked in 2006 and 2008. I wanted to walk again this year, but I was pretty sure that I was going to have to have surgery on my left foot...well, the good news is that I didn't have to have the surgery after all, the bad news is that by the time I figured that out, it was too late for me to try to raise the funds, and start my training...

So, instead of being a "street walker" this year, I am a "Walker Stalker" - meaning I'll be out there all 3 days cheering on my friends that are walking, and the 3,800 new friends I'm making! I remember distinctly the warm feeling I got when I was walking and random people along the way cheered, high-fived me, and clapped. I wanted to give these walkers that same good feeling, so Bear and I got up at the crack of dawn, pink ribbon signs in hand, jumped into the Smart car, and headed west. The route on the first day follows the coast from lovely Del Mar, through La Jolla, and on to Crown Point. We found a spot to park near the beginning of the route, got out of the car, and preceded to say "Good Morning" and "Thanks for walking!" to about 3,800 people. When the majority of the walkers had gone by, we hoped in the car, moved south, and found another spot to park. Rewind, repeat. Lots of high-5's, lots of clapping, and lots of emotion.

It's hard to explain the kind of emotion I feel when I am among the walkers. Whether I am walking or cheering, I feel a strong bond, and I would almost say that it's like being a part of a very special sisterhood - only there are men, and lots of them, that are walking too. They walk in honor of their wife, their Mom, their sister, you name it. So I guess if it's possible for men to be a part of a sisterhood, these men are. It is an incredible, heartwarming feeling! I longed to be on the road with them this morning, and as Bear and I were talking about it (we walked together last year, along with our lifelong friend, Shirley), we both agreed that if there was any doubt about us walking again next year, this morning cleared that up!

Here are just a few of the images we caught while we were out there today.


This is a bit blurry, but you can still get a feeling for the sheer number of people participating in this incredible experience. Trust me, once you are part of the 3 Day family, it will always be in your heart!
I met up with my friend and mentor from the 2006 walk, Raellyn. This was her 10th walk! Talk about dedication! She is one heck of a spitfire! (Yeah, I look like "Gigantor" next to her, but it's because she is super petite...honest!)
Bear found her friends too!
Every shade of pink you can imagine, for as far as the eye can see!
A friend from my Golden Group was walking this year!
Gotta love the tutus!
The organizers gave a pair of "Energizer Bunny" ears to each walker, and this guy took the bunny idea to the next level.
I am looking forward to the next two days more than I can put into words. If you live in San Diego, and are looking for something to do this weekend, why not come out and cheer with me. I guarantee you'll come away with a new appreciation for these dedicated walkers.

7 comments:

Sierra Rose said...

Wow wow wow!! What a fantastic event!! Glad you can cheer folks on!!! And, that must be lots of cheering! Great to see so many participants.

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose and mom

Chris H said...

A sea of pink... even guys!
Awesome.
And for a good cause, even better.
What fun.

kks said...

wow, what a wonderful event! great pics! you guys in california sure know how to pull off an event! thanks for sharing and you look great!
xoxo

♥I am Holly♥ said...

That is a wonderful event for a very good cause! Your pictures are great! Wish I was there to participate!!!

Valerie Cummings said...

Thats so awesome Sue!!! High five to you sister!!! Hugs Valerie
PS You look fantastic!

Paco,Milo, Maya and mommy Simona said...

WOWWOWOWOOOOOO SUE!!!
What a wonderful event!!!!
Awwwwwwwwww.....
how much we would love were there and walking with all those people and you!!!!
Sweety...you look fantastic...and pink is sooooooooooooo perfect on you!!!!!
you're the best...and we love you a lot!!!!!
WE MISS YOUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!
Come here soon!!!!!
HAve a wonderful day sis!!!!
Tons of love and kisses!!!
And thanks for sharing with us such a great event!!!!
MUAHHHHHHHHHHH

Owner of the Band said...

So glad you posted about the event. I walked this year for the first time and LOVED it!! Thanks for supporting us all. See you on the course next year.