Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Pork Roast Plunder

I was good yesterday. I planned ahead for dinner, took a lovely pork roast out of the freezer, put it into the crock pot nice and early, seasoned it well, and set it on low. I went about my daily duties, got some errands done, stopped by the bank, made time for a wee bit of shopping, and came home to the delicious smell of the perfectly done roast. I turned the heavenly hunk o'meat down to "warm," got the table set, and all of the accompanying menu items prepared. Hubby came in from a long day of work, and marveled at the mouth watering aroma. Everyone came into the dining room, ready to feast.

I carefully lifted the roast out of the crock pot and onto the serving platter. I got my sharpest knife and glided it through the end slice. Ah, perfection!

I started to slice off a second piece. The roast slipped a bit on the serving platter...I over corrected with the fork I was holding. It slid the other direction.

Right
On
To
The
Floor

It landed, seasoned side down, on a little rug that I keep right by my kitchen sink. The rug is a favorite place of the pups to lay, so needless to say, it is usually covered in Golden hair. Yesterday was no exception. My glorious pork roast was laying on the floor, covered in dog hair.

Hubby came to the rescue, and I can thankfully say even though they came running when I yelled as the roast fell (and, boy o boy, did I yell...) the dogs were very well behaved and listened to my panicked "LEAVE IT" command. Hubby gave the roast a bit of a rinse, plopped it back onto the platter, and proceeded to slice the rest of it up. It wasn't the same though, the thought of my tainted roast, covered in pooch hair suddenly became extremely unappetizing. What a shame!

The majority of it got eaten though, with only a few complaints. I can honestly say that that was the first, and hopefully the last time I've ever had the main course of a meal wind up on the floor.

What's a girl to do?

10 comments:

donna said...

Aw. I'm sure the kids would have been HAPPY to clean that up for you!

With us it's usually bits of pollo or carne that end up on the floor, and the pups get them. Tom did manage to drop a lot of sliced ham once, and they were good about leaving it.

Angel Tucker, Daisy and Leo said...

At our house, Golden fur is a condiment.

Tucker and Daisy's Mom

Monika said...

oh the doggies must have thought it was their lucky day when it hit that floor!

kks said...

too funny!? what good dogs to "leave it"....i think mine may have trampled me get a taste! hey, this falls within the 5sec rule, what's a little dog hair between the teeth after such a wonderful meal? :)
hope today is better!

Pipa said...

I had a big laugh with this post, let me tell you! If I were there, i would NEVER obey you LEAVE IT command!! :) Roasted pork!??! That's heaven! :)



Love


Pipa

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

I bet the dogs thought the roast was for them. Maybe next time dogs...

Mackenzie & Toby said...

And what is wrong with having Golden hair in your food. It is good for you.

wagonhoe said...

5 second rule...

Valerie Cummings said...

3 second rule!!!! Sounds absolutley mouthwatering mmmmm!!! Hugs Joey and Kealani

Coffee Talk with Shar said...

Yes, but doesn't the "five second" rule apply? Just imagine how much dog hair we eat without even realizing it!!! That is really funny, though! I love how you accentuate the "Right on the floor"!!