Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Kayaking

This past Saturday some of my Golden Group members went kayaking with a local company here in San Diego. Hubby and AJ were both interested in doing this, so I signed them up, and got it paid for.

What about me? Well, I figured someone needed to stay on shore and take pictures for the group, so, being the kind, generous person that I am, cough, cough, I volunteered to stay put, and not climb into a boat with a dog.

Wise decision on my part, if you ask me.

I think it's safe to say that everyone had a good time. I think it's also safe to say that neither of my boys are interested in doing it again....at least with the dogs. We took Jill and Kona, thinking they would probably be the best behaved in the kayaks....Kona was great, once he got himself situated, and in a good sized kayak (the first one AJ had was way too little, and it only took a minute or so before they flipped over.) Jill, on the other hand, had NO desire to sit in the kayak at all. She saw the water and she wanted in it. NOW! It was a struggle for Hubby to keep her from jumping out, which of course, was no fun for him. He was a great sport though, and I do give him a lot of credit for trying.

Here is the group, getting the all important paddling instructions.

All lined up and ready
Off to an OK start - but this was a small kayak, and Kona was sitting on AJ's lap...it wasn't going to last long...
They made it under the small bridge I was standing on....
Still doing OK...
Oh, look, Hubby is getting ready to take off with Jill (in another kayak that was way too small)
Just as Hubby took off, I turned around to see this...crap!
Ok, finally situated in a much bigger and more stable kayak, off they go!
The pups had some play time when they got to the half way point of the trip
Kona, contemplating getting back on to the kayak...
The whole kayaking group
AJ and Kona arrive safely back at the starting point...whew!
I asked what they thought about their adventure and I got this, " Been there, done that, don't need to do it again!"
I can't say I blame them!

5 comments:

Chris H said...

Hee hee, it looks like fun!

Anonymous said...

What a fun thing to do - though I don't know if I'd be able to stay in a kayak. It looks like fun to try, though! Cute pictures!

See ya!
Joey

Life With Dogs said...

What a blast - and you are brave, our dogs would have tipped us in about 10 seconds. :)

Allison Walton said...

yeah, don't think my boys would have done too well with this. Gus would have been in the water before we even tried the boat, and Waldo doesn't sit still long enough. :)

Coffee Talk with Shar said...

Oh, the memories!!! How GREAT! We've been trying to figure out how we can take our pups with us, but they all hate water, and with our wonderful kayaking skills, would probably end up dumping them!!