Monday, June 15, 2009

The Natural


I'm beginning to sense that we might have a real live "natural" on our hands. Kona has been on two therapy visits in the last two days, and he has done wonderfully!

Hubby worked with him yesterday at the senior citizen facility we visited, and today it was my turn to take him to the VA Hospital in La Jolla to visit with some patients in the SCI Unit (Spinal Cord Injury). We were paired up with a visit captain named Kelly and her 2 year old Boxer named Bella. Bella was very sweet and VERY excited to be around Kona. He handled himself like an old pro. He was extremely well behaved and seemed at ease with all of the different sites, sounds and smells at the hospital. We got the chance to visit with about 20 different people, some in beds, and some in wheelchairs. A few of the people we encountered weren't interested in having a visit from a dog, and that's ok, we don't take that personally. The majority of the people we saw were thrilled to have a visit, and spend a few moments with our four legged friends. Kona was mellow, and relaxed, and it was such a pleasure to take him around.

I think this therapy service might be his niche!

I also wanted to share just a quick little tidbit from our day yesterday, and in particular tell you about 1 very sweet woman we met. This very sweet dear was very old (97 !) and as soon as we walked into her room she made a point of telling me that she was a "dog lover - never have liked cats!"

We chatted briefly and she enjoyed stroking Jack's soft fur. As we got ready to walk out of the room I hesitated enough to notice several pictures of her on her dresser with the many cat companions she'd had over the years, an embroidered cat picture, etc. It was very cute, and made me smile. Apparently she was trying to encourage me, and make a little connection with me through our love of dogs. It really did tickle me pink.

While we had visited with her she also said, "Do you want a cracker Jack? Get it? Cracker Jack?" and then giggled. It was priceless! I giggled along with her...she was pretty sharp for someone who is 97! We should all be so lucky to have our wits about us and such a good sense of humor when we are half that age! (Wait, I nearly AM half that age!)

9 comments:

Najia said...

Awwww, he may be a super natural at therapy sessions, but he's also a natural at being doggone handsome! I can't wait to see your furbabies again real soon!!!

I love the story about the old lady. It reminds me of my grandmother. She's 94. You are doing beautiful things with your doggies. Bless you for that.

Pipa said...

Gosh, I would love that here in portugal we could work with our dogs in therapy! :(

Kona is probably a natural.

Thank you for your work!


Love

Pipa

kks said...

so proud of Kona, and you for doing what you do for the dogs and people...sweet story!

Valerie Cummings said...

KOna is a superstar!!! He is so sweet and gentle! I am so proud of him too! Hugs Valerie

Tami said...

97! Wow! Sounds as sharp as my 86 grandma!

Sheryl said...

Your dogs are adorable.

Chris H said...

Who wouldn't love a visit from Kona! He's totally adorable.

Allison Walton said...

Way to go, Kona and Jack! How cool that you have such an important job. Mommee is thinking of starting Waldo in therapy dog training. He is very good and calm around people. We can use you as our inspiration!

wuv,
Gus and Waldo

Monika said...

I love his blue bandana - so sweet and beautiful xx