Friday, April 3, 2009

Unexpected Sunshine

Have you ever had a day (or a week, or a month, or a YEAR for that matter) that just isn't going well? Unexpected crap just keeps popping up that seems to get you down? Yeah? Well, welcome to my world. 2009 has not been a good year so far, for a lot of different reasons that I won't bore you with. Yes, I know, it can always get worse, but you know, sometimes you just have to ask yourself, "when will it get better?" Well, without dwelling on things too much, I wake up every morning and hope it will be a good day. Some are, some - not so much.

Yesterday started off with some rotten news (I found out an old friend has stomach cancer), and it just didn't seem to get better. I found myself (once again) wondering why all of the stars seemed to be aligning themselves in such a way to let the poop hit the rotating blade. Such is life sometimes I suppose...and I realize that you've got to have some bad days to be able to enjoy and appreciate the good ones.

I meandered my way through the day, and got a little bit of a mental health break by hanging out with some old high school buddies at a little alumni get together in the evening. The turnout was light, but the conversation was easy, and relaxing. I've got to figure out a way to get more people to come to these gatherings, but that's a challenge for another day.

When I got home, I found a package waiting on my doorstep. I seem to get a lot of mail, but so much of it is junk mail, catalogs, and of course, bills. I rarely actually get "personal" mail. This package was addressed to me and Hubby, but the minute I saw the return address, I knew it wasn't really for us. It was for the pups, and it tickled me pink! Getting that package was like an unexpected ray of sunshine beaming down on my evening. I know it might sound strange, but it really lifted my spirits. I brought the present into the house, and immediately, the noses started going crazy!The pups figured out as quickly as I did, that this was something special for them.

We opened it up together, and were thrilled to see that it was chuck-full of goodies from one of our favorite websites - Best Bully Sticks, sent from Merrill, Harley's Dad. Merrill is one of the most thoughtful people I know, and always seems to know when I need a "pick me up"...he has sent some of the coolest things in the past while I've been caring for his girl Harley, including lots of different dog toys and treats, chocolates, rum and even a special German brandy. His packages are always unexpected and always very much appreciated! I am thankful for his kindness, and even more so for his friendship. He is one in a million, and a bright light for me in some otherwise grey days.

We love Bully Sticks!
Good Boy Jack!
Kona is happy!
Harley is in heaven with her bully.
Jackie Boy sometimes wishes he had thumbs to be able to hold on to his treats better.
Miss Jill likes to chew on hers slowly to make it last.
Goofy Kona always takes his treats outside to enjoy in peace and quiet.
Thanks again Merrill, for brightening the day for all of us!

4 comments:

Valerie Cummings said...

Awe, Merrill and Harley, 2 rays of sunshine! Hugs Valerie Joey and Kealani

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, congrats on the bully sticks! What a great gift, and I hope the rest of 2009 improves.

See ya!
Joey

kks said...

what lucky dogs...to have such a wonderful mom and friends that care about you AND your four legged kids!

Mason Dixie said...

What a great package. Sorry to hear about your friend. I am going to go check out their website if they have one. =) bully sticks look yummy!