Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Slew of Movie Reviews - Through an amateur's eyes


I’ve been lame, really lame, about keeping up with my movie reviews. Not that it probably bothers anyone but me, but for some reason it does. I’m kinda anal like that. I start a project, and no matter how much times goes by, I don’t like to just forget about it. I guess I consider my movie reviews like an unfinished project. Actually 9 unfinished little projects, but who’s counting…

In an attempt to get all caught up in jiffy, and am going to do an extremely condensed version of the most recent 9 movies I’ve seen (that I can remember…) Ready? Ok, here goes, in no particular order:

Knowing- starring Nicolas Cage. Pretty decent in general, a couple of good spooky parts, although I hated the ending…B-

Sunshine Cleaners – starring Amy Adams and Emily Blunt. Not the “feel good movie” I expected it to be, but very good. It dealt with some dark issues, suicide included, but it was enjoyable….B+

Duplicity – starring Julia Roberts and Clive Owen. I was disappointed with this. Although I really enjoyed watching these two favorites of mine, I think the story was wishy-washy at best, kind of hard to follow, and not all that exciting…C

The Reader – starring Kate Winslet, Ralph Fiennes, and David Kross. Wow! I knew what to expect with this, and was still impressed. Kate Winslet certainly deserved the Oscar for this one, especially after doing some of those scenes with the “young” Michael. Great film, not for the kids…A-

The Pink Panther – starring Steve Martin. Not my type of humor. I thought it was a stinker. ‘ Nuff said….D

Doubt – starring Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams. Very powerful flick. No chuckles here, but really thought provoking….B

Taken – starring Liam Neeson. Former spy uses his skills to get his kidnapped daughter back. Very predictable. It was ok, but nothing memorable…C-

Slumdog Millionaire – starring Dev Patel, Freida Pinto and Anil Kapoor. Won best picture of 2008. I saw this after it won the Oscar, so I had high expectations. I was not disappointed. Loved it! A

Gran Torino – starring Clint Eastwood. This was the story of a disgruntled Korean War veteran who sets out to reform his young Hmong neighbor who had tried to steal his car. In spite of the political “incorrectness” of this movie, and all of the horrendous racial slurs, I did enjoy this movie more than I thought I would. Clint Eastwood played the perfect old grumpy neighbor and the supporting cast was impressive….B+

So, there you have it. Nine movie reviews, in a nutshell. A big nutshell…


1 comment:

Valerie Cummings said...

Great job in the reviews!!! You should do that professionally! Love Val