Saturday, April 18, 2009

Old Faithful and a Pirate Wench

I got "old faithful" out of the garage the other day. My trusty Brother Sewing Machine. This baby is older than dirt, solid as a brick, and has sewn it's fair share of kiddie Halloween costumes, among other things. I've never been what you'd call a "real" seamstress, but I can get by pretty good when I need to. I am not one to read a pattern, and find that I do much better on my own, copying and creating things by making my own patterns, or free-hand winging it. I've made clown costumes, curtains, muffin hats, skirts, a bodice, togas, and a wide assortment of other stuff.

My latest project has been a new skirt for my Renaissance costume. The theme for this weekend at the big faire we are going to is "Swashbuckling" so I thought it only appropriate that I make myself a "proper" pirate wench costume. I had several pieces for the costume already, having sewn things in the past for a Halloween party, but I needed a finishing piece to bring it all together. Here is the finished product. Hopefully it will look as good on me as it does on the hanger...

Of course, I'll add a lot of accessories to this little get-up. My leather belt, pewter drinking cup, assorted baubles, and jingly bangles, my whip (hey, I'm a pirate wench!), and my cat o'nine tails, to name a few. It should be a LOT of fun tomorrow.

I'll be sure to take bunches of pictures. Whether I'll have any decent enough to post is another thing...

5 comments:

Chris H said...

That outfit looks really neat! Can't wait to see the photots.

kks said...

sounds like an interesting event, looking forward to the pics!

Sue said...

Hi, Just found your blog and it looks like fun. I'll be checking in more often. Love the pirate costume. Sounds like a fun adventure.

Mason Dixie said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. Can not wait to see the pictures. =)

Coffee Talk with Shar said...

Awesome - you are soooo talented, Sue. Where on earth do you get all of the energy to do all you do??