Monday, April 20, 2009

Renaissance Faire Fun!

As promised, here are more pictures from the Renaissance Faire I went to yesterday. To say I had a good time would be an understatement! I love the feeling of becoming someone else for the day. I know it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but the friends I went with were all great sports and we had a grand time. (I apologize to Donna and Tom for not getting their picture -it was great seeing you though, and we'll have to get together for another fair soon!)

The one negative thing I'll have to say...OK, maybe two negative things, were that is was hot as hell there, and the food, although good, was very expensive. The temperature was hovering in the mid 90's all day, which might not sound all that bad to sun worshipers, but when you are walking around in 2 layers of skirt, a 3/4 sleeve shirt, a black hat, and a leather bodice, it was HOT! As for the food, we ordered some deep fried artichoke hearts, stuffed with goat cheese, (sounds good so far, right?) for $10.00. When the order was ready, we saw that it contained exactly four little pieces. Oh, sure, they tasted good, but seriously $2.50 a piece? They weren't that good! Each piece was about the size of half of my thumb...and I've got pretty small thumbs...OK, enough of my complaining.

We really did have a fun time, and I can't wait until the opportunity presents itself to go again. The things and people you see there are unlike anything you'll see outside of an event like this. If you are on the adventurous side, like to people watch, and have a VERY open mind, the Renaissance Faire is the place for you.

A wench with a beard? I told you, anything goes at the Ren. Faire!
Hubby and I enjoying a cool beverage. Pickle and Bear enjoy the Ren. Faire too. My friend Joe and I have enjoyed many a faire together. Shirley's new friend. (And that beard was real) This wench had a wee bit of "ink" on her. There were some cool rides for the kiddies Different guilds have their own special areas.
This guy looked pretty authentic. My buddy Jeremy was a faire "virgin", as was his wife Jill. Some of the costumes are very elaborate! Getting ready for a joust. Did I mention the interesting costumes you see? Some are more interesting than others. Some wear conservative attire....

and, oh, have I mentioned I love men in kilts? Yeah, I think I've mentioned that...
There is always something nice to look at.
The May Pole
Part of our tired crew.
The girls in the group
Unique to say the very least.
A dragon just hanging around.
Lots of cool artsie-fartsie stuff
We weren't the only ones pooped after the long, hot day!

5 comments:

donna said...

Good to see you, too!

We had fun at the joust!

kks said...

looks like a crazy time! love your outfit! 90 degrees.....haven't seen that for a long time...

Bogart said...

Looks like quite a party!

NCmountainwoman said...

I've never had any desire to dress the part, but I do love the Renaissance Faire! Too bad it was so very hot.

Valerie Cummings said...

Wow I cant believe it was so hot and those outfits! Those are great pictures!!