Friday, March 6, 2009

What's the deal with Wisdom Teeth?

Doesn't the word "wisdom" mean to be "wise, have knowledge, understanding, experience," etc.? Why then, is it that wisdom teeth are so dumb? I mean, nearly everyone has them, and probably 99% of the people you ask have had theirs removed? They come in crooked, push against the other teeth to screw up their alignment, and are basically just a pain in the @ss.

Today it was A.J.'s turn to go through this right of passage...He had all 4 of them removed. The top two weren't too bad, but the bottom two were totally horizontal, and impacted. They had started to affect his jaw bone, so it was definitely time to get them yanked. Thankfully I know an awesome oral surgeon very near by, so we were able to take care of it quickly today.

A.J.'s nerves were a little on edge this morning, which was totally understandable. I have learned that when he gets nervous, he makes jokes, and chit-chats 90 miles an hour. It is funny and very endearing.

He did great today though, and once he was settled in the chair, he was ready to get things rolling. The surgery itself took only about 45 minutes, and before we knew it they called us back to help him get up and get to the car. A.J. was given "laughing gas" before he got his IV to really knock him out. As he came out of the anesthesia he really was laughing. He was so relieved that it was over so easily. The funniest thing to us was listening to him say how he could walk to the car on his own. He barely made it 4 steps to the wheelchair on his own before flopping down and giggling nearly uncontrollably.

He is home now, resting comfortably with ice on his face, and biting down on the gauze. Fun way to spend the weekend, huh? It sure could be worse!

Getting ready...(love the hat - can I get some fries with my burger?)
Nearly knocked out.

Yea! All done! Time to go home for a nap!

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Boy have I ever been there and done that! Mine were impacted and absessed! I was actually very, very sick with infection and had exposed nerves...I wanted to be SHOT I was in so much pain! Thank the Lord that wisdom teeth don't grow back...ha!

Glad AJ is recovering well!

Valerie Cummings said...

Im so glad thats over! Mine were like Kellis. Impacted and absessed! But had them out years ago! get well soon AJ! Hugs, Valerie Joey and Kealani

Shirl said...

Nice mask A.J.! You look like H.B.!

Tami said...

I had mine taken out when I was a teenager. I was swollen like a chipmunk for over a week and it hurt like hell!

Coffee Talk with Shar said...

OK, I think I would about kill my mom if she took pictures of me pre and post op, hu A.J.???

Seriously, we are relaly glad that everything went so well! I hate dentists - I think they are the Devil in white coats, honestly, and will only have teeth pulled if they knock me out. Like you, AJ, I either laugh hysterically or cry. Better you went with the first!