Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I'm not nuts!


Ok, well, maybe that's too strong of a statement....How about, "I'm not nuts about my leg being numb." Yes, that's much better!

I finally, FINALLY got some answers today. I went and saw the neurologist that ordered my MRI. He got the results, and sure as heck, there is a problem. Actually two problems. Do I sound happy? I don't mean to, but I have to admit, I was so relieved that he actually saw SOMETHING going on to explain why my silly leg has been number for nearly 7 weeks! I have a slipped disc (between L4 & L5), and a bulging disc (between L5 & S1). A bulging what? Yeah, a disc in my lower back. It's bulging out and pressing on the nerve that goes down the back of my leg. Viola! Pressure on the nerve = numbness, and I'm not loosing my mind! Whoop! Whoop!

Ok, so now what, right? He offered me medication for the pain. There is no pain. Hello, that's the problem, remember, I can't feel anything on the back of my leg! He asked if my leg was weak? Well, yes, but how weak do you mean? Could I walk in another 60 mile walk right now, heck no! Can I walk around the block without an issue, absolutely. After a mile or two, it does start to feel weak, but is that the "weak" he talking about? Heck, I don't know...

What's the next step? Great question. He's not suggesting anything right now, other than some over the counter ant-inflamitories, no lifting anything heavy, and taking it easy...Yeah, like that will happen. He does say that surgery is an option that we may want to look into down the road a bit. If, you know, my leg starts getting weak....

5 comments:

Tami said...

I'm glad they figured it out. It must be frustrating that they aren't doing much to fix it.

donna said...

Go see a good chiropractor. Seriously. I credit mine with saving my life and getting me off all pain medication.

Then, pilates, yoga, weight loss. Strengthen the back and stomach muscles to hold your spine in the right alignment. Swimming is good, too, use that pool.

And watch your posture. Stomach in, shoulders down. Sit up straight, like mom told you. ;^)

Oh, and good shoes. Go to a store like foot solutions and get really good tennies. Yes, they're expensive. They are worth it. Throw out everything else.

Valerie Cummings said...

Thank Goodness! Finally we know something! Well it sounds like chiropractor time! Im so glad you dont have any pain! HUgs Valerie

Kelli said...

Glad they were able to figure it out and I hope there is a real solution! Hang in there!

Bogart said...

You could take the pain meds, sell them on the street and pay for the chiropractor to mess you up even more...it is a great circle of life!