Monday, March 16, 2009

Whoosh!

...and another weekend has flown by! I know I've said this before, but the time really does seem to fly by sometimes.

Friday the 13th was a busy day, and started off with a quick appointment to the oral surgeon for a recheck on AJ's wisdom teeth wounds. Everything is healing nicely, as expected, thank goodness. After dropping him off at school (a mere little jaunt of 18miles down the road) I drove back north to a friend's office (Denise) who is a Holistic Health Practitioner. Denise and I have been talking for quite some time about my numb leg situation, etc. and she had graciously offered to give me a series of 3 massages to possibly help with the bulging disc I've been dealing with. Friday's massage was the first in the series, and was one of the best massages I'd ever had. I felt like jello when I left her office. It was awesome. My muscles were relaxed and loose, and I felt like I could have fallen asleep. Naturally the rest of the afternoon got busy, and before I knew it I was on the way to pickup my carpool of kids from school, got home, made dinner, sat down on the couch, and the rest is history.

Saturday I did something I haven't done in a long time. I spent from 8am to 5pm away from my family, sitting in a classroom/conference room, and learned something. A lot of "somethings" actually, as I attended an all-day seminar called the "Pet Tech PetSaver Program." The seminar was arranged for our Golden Meetup Group members by one of my assistant organizers. It was a $99 class to learn all about how to care for your pet (mainly focused on dogs) in an emergency situation. I learned about First Aid, Rescue Breathing, and CPR, among other things, and I feel confident that if one of my dogs had an emergency issue, choking, etc., I would be able to help. Of course I hope I never have to use any of the techniques I learned, but being around so many dogs all of the time, I do feel a little more prepared if there was something to come up. We learned how to do a "Snout to Tail" assessment of our animals, trouble signs of illness to look for, etc. It was time and money very well spent. If you, or anyone you know is interested in taking a class like this (they have instructors all over the country) visit the PetTech site here, and tell them Sue from the San Diego Golden Group sent you...

Sunday was a day for a little bargain hunting. You all know me pretty well by now, and should know that it's never too early for me to start looking for Halloween stuff. Yes, you got that right, it's March, and I've got Halloween on my mind! Hubby and I just decided a couple of days ago to commit to doing our annual party again this year, and we've locked in a theme. (It's too early to divulge our theme though, can't have those copy-cat parties going on everywhere! ha ha!) We'd been giving a lot of thought to not doing it this year because, well, basically, it's REALLY expensive. Since we know for sure we are going to take next year (2010) off because our 20th anniversary is coming up then and it is pretty close to Halloween, and we want to treat ourselves to a nice anniversary trip instead of having the party (perhaps to Australia, and or New Zealand) we decided this year is a "go." And remember, when I say that we are looking for Halloween stuff, I'm not talking about plastic pumpkins, and goofy kids stuff. I'm talking about stuff for an adult party, the creepier and spookier the better. Hubby and I, along with our faithful "party production crew" have some pretty good imaginations when it comes to getting stuff together...I mean who would have thought that we'd have been able to pull off an "A-ca-dead-a-mee Awards" party for 100, complete with an 10' version of a dead "Oscar", a stage built in the back yard, etc. Yup, I've got a very talented group of friends, that's for sure! So, I'm happy to say, we did make a few purchases, all at bargain prices, for our 2009 party. I'm not sure where exactly we are going to put some of this stuff for the next 7 months, but I'll figure something out!

After the shopping was done, it was time for some pooch play time. I took all four pups for a walk by myself yesterday afternoon, but my leg prevents me from walking as far, or as fast as I'd like to right now, so after our walk, I decided that they needed a little romp in the park too. We loaded up, and headed out to our favorite nearby off leash park. That did the trick, and they were all wiped after about 45 minutes of running, wrestling, sniffing, and exploring. I love when we come home and they are all pooped out. Tired dogs are happy dogs, and boy, was our bunch tired!

Well, that's it for now...I've summed up the last 3 days in a couple of paragraphs...it doesn't sound like much when I put it like that, but it was a fun and very busy couple of days.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a very interesting class. I've heard of people who have saved their dogs' lives by knowing how to do the doggie Heimlich.

See ya!
Joey

kks said...

love the pic of all the dogs just hanging out! sounds like an interesting class, i could certainly teach something like that, will check out the site!

Valerie Cummings said...

I just blinked and the weekend flew by! That is so awesome you took that class! And look at those pups....so cute! Hugs Valerie Joey and Kealani

Tami said...

WOW! You wrote a lot! Enjoyed reading it. I had to tell you I am being that annoying "tagger" again. I have something for you on my blog! :)

Curt Rogers said...

I am definitely going to have to investigate taking a class now! What a great suggestion! Thanks, Sue! Dunc and the kitties thank you, too.