Saturday, September 5, 2009

Things I'm Learning from my Therapy Visits

In doing our twice weekly therapy visits to the VA Hospital in La Jolla, I am realizing that I am learning quite a bit along the way. I thought I'd share a couple of those things with you.


  1. Most places you visit have a dress code. No flip-flops, no tank tops, and nothing too revealing. Shorts of "acceptable length" are ok. What the staff thinks is acceptable, and what the Vets think are acceptable are two different things. You probably won't have any of the patients tell you that your shorts are too short, or too tight, or that your shirt is too low cut.... Oo-rah!

  2. The parents, spouses and staff appreciate our visits as much as the patients. I had a particularly heart warming visit with the mother of a young patient today, one of those where you have to step out into the hall and wipe your eyes. You can't do visits like these and not have them touch your heart. I have gotten more out of these visits already than I ever would have imagined was possible.

  3. You have to be comfortable with yourself. Patients can tell when/if you are nervous. The more comfortable you are with yourself and your dog, the more pleasurable your experience will be.


  4. Carry a camera if you can, but always ask if you can take a person's picture before you do. I've never had anyone tell me no, but it's good to ask.


  5. Always, ALWAYS knock, or make a somewhat loud entrance. If you walk into a patient's room unannounced, you might get an unexpected eyeful. Trust me on this.


  6. There are few things in the world that are tougher to see than a 20 year old young man that has been critically injured fighting for our country. I saw such a young man yesterday. He is a new patient to the spinal cord unit, and although we weren't able to visit with him yet, I hope to in the future.


  7. There are incredible therapy dogs of every size, shape and breed. Wilson, the Great Dane- English Mastiff mix we do our Friday visits with, weighs 220 lbs, and is probably the most gentle dog I've ever met.


  8. And last, but not least, when the 4 year old grandson of a patient asks for your "number", it means he wants to know how old you are. I had this happen to me today, and it cracked me up. His name was Tucker, his number was "4" and he told me my number "is a really old number!" Um, yeah, thanks for that.

10 comments:

Thor and Jack said...

Very cool, Sue! :)
Great job!
Thanks for sharing.
Happy weekend to you all!

xoxo
Thor

Maxmom said...

Dear Sue
Thank you for sharing all those wise words.
It's really hard work, but you seem to have such a gift in this arena. Congratulations on all you do. Its quite wonderful! Lots of strength to you all too.
Lots of licks
MAXDOG IN SOUTH AFRICA

Valerie Cummings said...

What a heartwarming post girlfriend!!!! Thats awesome!!! Kona is adorable. Hugs Joey and Kealani

Golden Samantha said...

Oh Sue - what a great job you are doing. Thanks for the tips, in case Sammie ever goes into this line of work. (Thinking about it...)
Hugs xo
Sammie

kks said...

lovely post....you are doing so much good and what better way than through your dogs.....
i have a really high number....compared to 4...:)
xo

Harry said...

WOW Sue! Super proud and happy to know you and hope we can meet one day soon. You have a huge heart and a loving kind spirit.
Love,
Dena and Harry in Boston

Golden Daily Scoop said...

That is so aweome!!!! Thx for sharing you experience, thoughts and pictures!!! So heartwarming and a great post for labor day weekend!!!

Miley and her mom

Ms. ~K said...

Great work you do!!!
Kit

Ben said...

Thanks for the heads up on the rules. I am starting my training to see if I can cut it as a therapy dog. I hope so -

Chris and Mackenzie said...

I've always wondering what it took to become a certified service dog. Any knowledge you can drop?