Friday, September 18, 2009

Dog and Pony Show

First of all, before I start with today's post, let me thank you all for your heartfelt comments on yesterday's post. I really do appreciate each and every one of them, and it means so much knowing that people understand and can sympathize with those of us who knew and loved Mark. Thank you very, very much.


On to the Dog and Pony Show....seriously! Yesterday I had the pleasure of visiting a nearby retirement home, called Gateway Gardens. It was the first visit Kona and I had made to this facility, and it was so much fun! We visited with other members from a Pet Therapy group we recently joined. In addition to Kona and I, there were 3 other Goldens and their owners, a Labradoodle, and "Little Bit" - a mixed breed dog that was "a little bit of this and a little bit of that." In addition to the dogs, there was a miniature horse! WOW! I'd never heard of a miniature horse doing therapy work before, but low and behold, there he was! His name is "Spark Plug" and he was a real sweet heart! Here is a group picture, Kona is in the middle, being held by our friend Donna.

We had an absolutely delightful time visiting with the residents of the Gateway Gardens. We met everyone in a large room, introduced ourselves and our animals, and then walked around visiting with each person.

I must say, it really brought joy to my heart to spend that hour with those people. People who, unlike Mark, who's life was cut way too short, have lived very long, full lives. People who, in some cases, have outlived their spouses, their friends and neighbors...and who now depend on others for their care, their meals, and even entertainment.

Let me tell you, we did a lot of entertaining yesterday! It was so much fun taking Kona from person to person, watching their faces light up when he rested his chin on their knee, or shook their hand, or just sat with a big goofy grin on his face while they stroked his fur.

It really did me good to go for that visit. It warmed my heart, and filled it with joy. I know that all may sound mushy, but there just isn't a better way to describe it. After the sadness I've been feeling over the last couple of days, it really helped to brighten my spirits. I think I needed that visit as much as the residents of the Gateway Gardens did, if not more.

Yes, it was the first of my visits there, but certainly not the last!

Here is "Spark Plug" working the crowd...several people told me that he smelled like a stable. I suppose that's what miniature horses smell like!
Kona was soaking up the attention. Spending a quiet moment with a new friend. This sweet woman told me that Kona is under fed and that I should leave him with her so she can fatten him up a bit! Oh, I don't think so! Kona was made for this!

5 comments:

donna said...

Thanks Sue,

Can you put this up on the meetup message board too or post a link to it? Thanks!!

Chris H said...

I'm glad the visit did you good. Fancy taking a pony to visit older people in a home! too funny.

Homer said...

Awww...This is so cute!

Love,
Homer

Valerie Cummings said...

KOna is a superstar!!!! And a little sugar!!! Hugs Valerie

Paco,Milo, Maya and mommy Simona said...

HEYYYYYYYYYY Deat dear friends!!!
We're back and we missed you a lot!!!
We read all your post....
first....dear Sue...we're sooooooooo sad for your terrible loss....
sure life is fragile and we know it...but we aren't ready...ever...to lost someone very important in our life....
Our hearts are sad for you....we'll keep your friends in our prayers....
Second...Kona is soooooooooooo cute during her visit to those people...sure she have a wonderful heart and personality....
And you done rafting???!!!!!!
OMDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!
What a great pics and what a wonderful adventure!!!!
CAn we come with you next time????
Pleaseeeeeeeeee.....
We're happy to be at home again....we can't stay to long without you and all our friends!!!!
And.......October is coming...
YEPPYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!
CAn't wait to know you and your family!!!!!
But pleaseeeeeeee...tell to your furry babies to give us tons of love and licks because I'm sure that My babies will miss me a lot!!!!!!
Tons of love and kisses!!!!
SMACKKKKKKKKKKKK