Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A challenge for you



A few days ago, on my way home from my morning kid carpool commute, I heard the guys on my favorite radio station talking about a book. The more they talked about it, the more intrigued I got, so I stopped by a bookstore and picked it up.

The book is called "Not Quite What I was Planning" Six-Word Memoirs by Famous and Obscure Writers. The book is made up of just that...six-word memoirs. People have summed up their lives in six words. Sounds strange, doesn't it? Well, I've got to tell you, it's fascinating! Here are a couple of my favorites:


  • Never really finished anything, except cake. --Carletta Perkins
  • Cursed with cancer, blessed with friends. -- Hannah Davies
  • Seventy year, few tears, hairy ears --Bill Querengesser
  • I'm my mother, and I'm fine. --K. Bertrand
  • Won the fight; lost the girl -- Jim O'Grady
  • Slightly psychotic, in a good way. --Patricia Neelty
  • Found true love after nine months -- Jody Smith
And some very poignant ones:

  • Found true love, married someone else --Bjorn Stromberg
  • Dad died, Mom crazy, me, too. -- Moby
  • Two boys, my life, conquering autism.--Michelle DePasquale
  • Caring for parents. Life is circular.-- Timothy McGrath
  • Mom, Dad have dementia. Got Gun? -- Carol Belding
  • I was never the pretty one. -- Joan Nesbit Mabe
  • Fell in live. Married. Divorced. Repeat. --Lori McLeese
  • Thank God the suicide attempt failed. -- Rhett Miller
I could go on and on with these, but don't want to spoil any more for you if you get the chance to pick up the book for yourself. It really is a lot of fun to read through, and I bet you'll find yourself, as I did, trying to sum up your own life in a "six word memoir." Here are a few of my ideas for my own - so far. Please feel free to share your own.

  • I gave up skinny for joy
  • My Golden Retrievers made me friendlier
  • Chocolate is the essence of life
I still haven't found the exact right one that suits me though...I'll keep thinking about it. See what you can come up with. Six words, no more, no less.

2 comments:

Anniessa said...

What book?? What book???

Anniessa said...

OOOOOOOH! OK - I see it now! Jumped the gun there!