Monday, August 15, 2011

The Big Drop Off

I know, I know, you are all wondering how the actual drop-off and leaving of the Boy went. Well, I suppose it went as good as it could have, considering the circumstances.

Pickle was able to spend Saturday night in the dorm room with AJ, so that was kind of cool. The roommate wasn't there yet, and she camped out on the futon. They got to have some quality sibling time, and it was nice knowing he wasn't spending his first night in the dorm alone.

Sunday morning we checked out of our hotel and picked them up for breakfast at about 8:30am. We made one last stop by one of the campus book stores and picked up some push pins, and a last souvenir. We found a local spot for breakfast, and enjoyed a last meal together.

Before long, it was time to head back to the dorm...where we tried to take some pictures. I did pretty good for the first couple of pictures, I really did. Then the water works kicked in a little. Just some tears, no big "ugly" cry. I only went thru a Kleenex or, not a box or two.

Round one of pictures looked like this-

After those few, it was Kleenex time for a sec...I know we were all dreading the actual driving away part, and postponing as much as we could. AJ asked if we would stick around for a few more minutes so he could run up to his room, grab his Frisbee so he and Hubby could toss it around for a few minutes. OF COURSE we could stick around!!

They had a good time playing one of the Frisbee Golf holes on the course just across the street from AJ's dorm.

Round two of pictures was a bit better, I didn't start crying until we got in the car. Last hugs, last kisses, more tears.

Oh, I do love this boy!

And whether or not they will admit it, I know Pickle and AJ will miss each other a lot. (Bear already had to say her goodbyes since she couldn't come on this trip with us.)

Finally at about 10:30am, we got in the car, and pulled away. Yes, it was tough, very, very tough. But he is happy, and I keep reminding myself of that.

So long Purdue, I hope to see you again soon. Take care of my Boy.

-Posted using BlogPress from my iPad and we are on the road, heading home.


kks said...

Awe, so sweet......
An exciting time for a young man, a difficult time for Mom and Dad....
Safe travels home!

KBL 2 ORD 2 SAN 2 LUV said...

Oh, what a wonderful post! I know it is a bittersweet one because you're leaving a duckling behind, but the great thing is that your little boy's adventure is just beginning. He is SO SMART and he's starting off adult life at one of the top schools in the nation. That is NOT an easy feat and you and hubby are to be congratulated on raising such great kids. Kudos! Safe travels sweet friend.

Chris H said...

I almost had a wee sniff reading this!
I felt like that leaving Palmerston North and moving to Auckland, leaving Steve and Mike behind.
At least Steve is here with us now... only Mike to go.