Monday, June 14, 2010

A-Z Mondays - The Foodie Version. "U" is for Udon!


Udon is a type of Japanese noodle, usually a thick wheat-flour noodle. Udon is usually served hot as a noodle soup with a mild chicken or fish flavored broth. (I prefer chicken - big shock there!) You can pretty much add anything you like to udon- scallions, prawns, pork, vegetable, tofu, egg, chicken, beef, etc. It's all good. In the area of San Diego I live in there are several good Asia restaurants that serve excellent udon, but the best udon I've ever had is made my the Japanese mother of one of our neighbors. She makes it every New Year's Eve, and we eat it right at midnight, for good luck. She puts jumbo sized prawns in it, and it is delicious!

Ok, so now I've gone and made myself hungry again!

Have a great Monday! If you'd like to see what other bloggers are drooling over for A-Z Mondays, be sure to check out Jen's blog here.

3 comments:

Cassie said...

Me too! I'm hungry now too. Never heard of Udon, but it sounds good to me. Happy A-Z Monday!

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Not only did you make yourself hungry, you made me hungry too! I would love a bowl of asian noodle soup right about now.

Ben said...

Never heard of it, but it looks good there in the picture!