Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Where the Ocean Meets the Coast

Yes, that's where I was this morning at 6:45am. At the corner of Ocean and Coast, where, ironically enough, the sand and the sea meet. OK, enough of the philosophical stuff...it was cool out there today in more ways than one. It was in the low 60's when I arrived and it was a beautiful morning. The seals were out sunning themselves, enjoying the early warmth of the first rays.
The way this baby leaned it's head back reminded me of Kona and the way he does the same thing.
This was a very protective Momma...She was not happy when other seals came near her baby.
This fellow looked like he was enjoying his morning.

There were a few brown pelicans out this morning too, but not nearly as many as we thought there would be.
This one didn't look like he was ready for the morning quite yet.
Coming in for a landing!
Whew! There's that rock I was looking for.
A family affair...

These pups were really soaking it up.
After we were done at La Jolla, we went over to the Birch Aquarium. Trying to get decent pictures through the glass without glare, is challenging to say the very least.
I was thankful to be with a very knowledgeable group of photographers, and was able to get help with my settings (thanks again Sam!) I would have been lost without Sam's help, and would have come home with a blurry mess of nothing.
Instead, I was able to get a handful of some decent shots (nothing compared to what some of the more professional folks can do) and was a happy camper. My morning was not wasted.


I loved the look of this wolf eel. He looks like one of the statues in my back yard!
I love the view from the aquarium looking back down towards Scripps Pier,
and of course beautiful La Jolla as well.

2 comments:

kks said...

beautiful shots Sue!
xoxo

Kelli said...

Absolutely gorgeous pictures Sue!!!