Monday, January 10, 2011

Perspective

Lately I've been a little frustrated with myself over my weight situation. I've been at a stand-still for quite some time now. I'll admit it's 100% because of my own doing. I've let myself slip on my food choices here and there, and everywhere. (For example, I had crab legs and chocolate for dinner last night...seriously...more on that soon.)

Ever since our 20th Anniversary cruise back in Oct., it's been tough to get back on the healthy eating bandwagon. After the 3 Day walk in November and my knee injury, my exercise program came to a screeching halt. You'd think with all of that, that my weight would start to sky rocket, but VERY thankfully, I've been able to maintain. I actually put on a couple of pounds around Oct., but have stayed the same until now.

I'm still about 60lbs. down from where I was 2 years ago when I started to really try to work on it. I've decided it's time to get back to business and get working on it again. No New Year's resolution for me (at least not regarding my weight), but just the promise to myself that I will make better choices for my body.

Simple as that.

Now, with that said, I think it's important that I keep in perspective not only how far I still want to go, but how far I've come. I think you are all pretty familiar with how I look now....


But how about how I looked 3 years ago?
The following pictures are from Bear's 21st birthday celebration in Nov. 2007. These pictures are good inspiration for me to keep going in the right direction.
Yup, if looking back at these pictures, and then looking in the mirror now doesn't put things into perspective about how far I've come, nothing will.
Onward.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could not be more proud of you. I love you more than you could ever know. You give me the encouragement I need to make myself a better person. You're simply amazing. :)

Carol said...

Thanks Sue for sharing this with me. Sadly I look like your old pics and I know it. It's a battle inside me that I have fought since I was 8. You are an inspiration to me! You can keep it off and get back to exercise. I remember when I had lost 40 pounds and kept it off for 4 years. I allowed myself every Sunday to eat whatever and I also exercised every other day! One day, I just stopped and went back to my old habits ... and put all my weight back on and then some! Thanks again for sharing your story!

kks said...

you have come a long way and we all face falling off the wagon...but, getting back on is easier before all the weight comes back...i am proud of you and your accomplishments! you are an inspiration to me! you are such a giving person, you need to give YOURSELF some of the same!
xoxo

Chris H said...

You have come a long way and should be very proud of yourself mate.

How Sam Sees It said...

You look great! ...and we know you can do it. You walked over 60 miles in three days to support a cause you believe in. How can anything else defeat you now?

Sam

donna said...

You're doing great. We all slow down for the holidays, that's for sure. I've kept off the 12 pounds I lost this last year, and I'm happy for that. I am hoping to drop another 10 or so this year.

I find doing strength training helps the most -- add more lean muscle and that helps burn the fat. Plus I'm stronger and just feel better. If you focus on just maintaining healthy eating habits and working out, you'll look and feel great.

Be compassionate with yourself, that helps too. And Carol's idea of a day off every so often is good, too.

But mostly, I think awareness makes the difference. Eating with awareness instead of mindlessly really helps.