Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Rough Day...

I woke up knowing it was going to be a melancholy day for me. Today marks the one year anniversary of a tragic, needless accident that took the life of a dear high school friend of mine, Mark Taylor. The news of his passing came via a telephone call that I will never forget.

Needless to say, I think of Mark every day. I think of the pain his beautiful wife feels every day, I think of the loss his children feel every day, and I think of all of his other friends and family that miss his quick wit, quirky sense of humor, and big heart. Yes, Mark is missed by many, and forgotten by none.

Today I got another phone call that I will never forget. I was in Costco buying the basics when my cell phone rang. The caller ID showed me that is was the sister of my friend Bob, another very dear friend from high school, who has spent the last year and a half battling cancer. The phone call was not good news.

Bob has been a heck of a fighter, first making it through stomach cancer last summer, and being pronounced "cancer free" only to have it reoccur months later, showing up in his bones, his lungs, his brain, and even his mouth. Each time the doctors thought they'd been able stop the spread, it out-witted them, and showed up somewhere else in him. I kept telling myself, that I know that everyone has "their time to be called home", and that God must have really wanted Bob badly.

Today Bob lost his fight. He was only 46 years old. I've said it before, and I will say it again...over and over and over again. Cancer sucks. In the words of my wise friend Harry "Cancer is a wretched disease. It robs us of our loved ones, and leaves in its wake shattered dreams and broken hearts. It strikes without prejudice or conscience. It is malevolent and an equal opportunity killer."

Rest in peace Bob. Your kindness, your incredible sense of humor, your endless jokes, huge heart, and lovable teddy-bear personality will truly be missed by everyone that knew you.

With love,
Sue

Bob's senior class picture from 1982 and Bob in 2006 at a Drama Reunion.

>
In the hospital - Feb 2010 - still a smile on his face.

Enjoying a house call from Kona in April 2010.

4 comments:

Chris H said...

So sorry for another good freind lost to Cancer. One of my girlfriends down in Palmerston North lost her husband yesterday to cancer too. I doubt there is anyone on this earth that hasn't been touched by cancer in some way.

kks said...

a beautiful tribute Sue...so sorry for your loss...
xoxo

Curt Rogers said...

Sue, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, and the loss his family is experiencing tonight. You are all in my thoughts. Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

Valerie Cummings said...

Wow Cancer sucks!!! Im so sorry to hear about this. Im glad you were able to visit him with Kona. And Im here for you:) Love Valerie