Thursday, April 29, 2010

Pay it Forward - Today! - Updated

We are here with our friend Ricochet, an Official Paw (Pay)It Forward Day Ambassador in San Diego to remind you that today is the day where you can start to make a positive difference in your community!

And it's simple, really simple. Just go out and do something nice for someone else. It doesn't have to be big, it doesn't have to be expensive. Just a little something random, kind, and unexpected.

Buy the guy behind you in line at Starbucks his coffee....Leave the buck or two change you are getting at the dry cleaners and tell them to put it towards the next person's order...offer to take your neighbors dog on a walk with yours, or even send an email to a friend that you've been thinking about but have been too busy to write to and let them know they are important to you.

A simple, random act of kindness. Let's start a trend....let's start a MOVEMENT!

Here are even more ideas from the Pay it Forward web site on ideas of how you can Pay it Forward! (There is even a really cool card you can print out and hand out explaining the Pay it Forward concept if you'd like. Get your copy here.)

Donate your talent, time, skill, or money
Have a fundraiser car wash
Wash a friend's car
If you're a motivational speaker... be a guest speaker
Share your dance skills with some kids
Share your photography expertise
Volunteer for a local charity
Provide computer support to someone who isn't computer savvy
Assist with organizing a school event
Read to a child at the library
Pay the toll for car behind you
Cook a meal for a friend
Offer a homeless person a food voucher
Give a lottery ticket to a stranger
Treat a firefighter to a cup of coffee
Pay for the car behind you in a fast food drive-thru
Buy someones train or bus ticket
Clean someones house
Volunteer at an animal shelter
Pay for someones gas
Give flowers to a maid at a hotel
Send flowers to a retirement home
Buy movie tickets for the person behind you
Prepare dinner for a family in need
Invite the person behind you to take your place in the grocery line


Won't you take a couple of minutes out of your busy day, and make the day just a little nicer for someone else. Wouldn't it be awesome if someone did something like this for you? It can happen, and it will happen! It will start with me, it will start with you, and it will start with the people that we pay it forward to.


I hope you have a great day, and I'd love to hear how you pay it forward. I'll let you know what we wind up doing. I've got some fun things in mind.

UPDATE- I've done my three deeds, and even an extra - what a great feeling!

First of all, I stopped by my vet's office. I dropped off a 20 dollar bill along with a "Pay if Forward" card. I talked to my favorite Vet. Tech, TJ, and told her to put the $20 towards the next person who came in with a dog that was having a problem. Not just a regular checkup or shots, but something unexpected. I know it might not cover much, but it would be a pleasant surprise to someone who was having a tough day. I told her to give them the card, and to tell them to pay it forward. She'd never heard of "Pay it Forward" day, and thought it was awesome. She was going to make cards and start paying it forward herself!

Second, I stopped and bought myself a Starbucks Frap. with a gift card I've had in my wallet for a long time. I turned around and bought a $5 gift card, and then gave it back to the cashier to cover the person's tab behind me. I gave the cashier a "Pay it Forward" card, and told her to tell the lady behind me that her order had been taken care of and to give her the card. I stepped away, watched it all happen, and thoroughly enjoyed the result. The lady was shocked, and really happy. She stood there, read the card, and kept saying "This is so cool - this is SO COOL!" That was totally worth the $5.

Third, I bought a friend lunch. I called her and asked if she'd eaten, (I knew she probably hadn't) and bought her a couple of chicken enchiladas from our favorite corner Mexican joint. She wasn't expecting the call, or the favor, and she was very appreciative. I'm so glad I thought to call her.

Fourth, I got a $25 gas card for a young friend who recently lost his job. It's not easy to get around to interviews when you can't afford to put gas in your car, so I hope this helps to ease his burden at least a tiny bit. Thankfully he drives a small car, so it might get him close to a full tank. He too, was surprised by the gesture, and promised to pay it forward to others down the road.

The day is still early....and there is plenty of time for you to do something nice for someone! It sure has made me feel good!

3 comments:

Sierra Rose said...

Hey! This is great!! We made a donation to Almost Heaven Golden Retriever Rescue & Sancturay through the Bumpass Hounds site towards a much needed air conditioner for one of the kennel houses! It felt really good to be part of this fund, even though we are way out here in California. We love this rescue and have known the Bumpass Hounds for some time now. :)
What a good day, and thank you for posting!!

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

♥I am Holly♥ said...

That was a fantastic idea. I think it should be done all of the time!!! Lots of love, Debbie and Holly

How Sam Sees It said...

How wonderful! We are working on our Pay it Forward commitments too!

Sam