Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Crush of the Week - Heath Ledger

It was exactly 2 years and 4 days ago that Heath Ledger was found dead in a Lower Manhattan apartment, of an apparent drug overdose. I will admit it...I cried when I heard the news. I was shocked and so sad that a huge talent like his was lost to drugs. He was only 28 years old. Such a loss, such a shame.

I first discovered Heath Ledger when he was in "The Patriot", with Mel Gibson. His blond curls and fresh face caught my eye. Next he went on to "Monster's Ball", and then to star in "A Knight's Tale" - I loved him in that roll, and of course being the Renaissance Fair fan that I am, it didn't hurt that he was portraying a knight in shining armour.

His break out roll - in my opinion, was in "Brokeback Mountain." Oh, how I loved him as Ennis del Mar. In an interview about "Brokeback Mountain" the author of the story, Annie Proulx stated Ennis Del Mar was a "confused Wyoming ranch hand who finds himself in a personal sexual situation he did not foresee, nor can understand." Yup, that's it in a nutshell, but Ledger's character was lovable, complex, and unforgettable.

One of the rolls he is best known for was his incredible depiction of the "Joker" in the Batman movie, "The Dark Knight." Again, a spectacular performance.

Gone, but not forgotten, Heath Ledger is my crush of the week.

Who's yours?



Photo courtesy of Wikipedia

5 comments:

Lurline said...

Great actor - so sad! I am ever faithful to Patrick Swayze!
Hugs - Lurline♥

kks said...

i didn't follow Heath...but did see Brokeback Mountain...i cried and felt really bad that they couldn't follow their hearts...
sad, senseless, too young to die..
xo
i really don't have any crushes, so i'll live them through your blog! :)

Chris H said...

Tom Hanks.... I just LOVE him. If he asked to go away with him... I WOULD! Shuuussssh, don't tell Stew!
I love Stew to death of course.... but TOM.... ooooooo... Tom.....drool , drool, drool!

Najia said...

Vinny from Jersey Shore. I'm so ashamed!!! ha ha ha ha!!! Fist pump baby!

As for Heath, I've got to say that no other movie love story made me cry so hard. What a remarkable actor. So sad that he's gone.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Like you, I loved Heath Ledger and was thinking about him this week when I saw something about him on the news...Very sad...My crush is George Clooney--To me, he's like an old-fashioned movie star...sigh....