Monday, January 18, 2010

Crush of the Week - The First Installment -Ted Neeley

I've been missing A-Z Mondays. It always gave me something specific to blog about on Monday, and it was always fun to see what other bloggers were doing as well....soooo, I've decided to come up with a little something of my own. (Please note, I just found out that A-Z Mondays - the food version- will be coming back beginning Monday the 25th, soooo, I've decided to move my "Crush of the Week" to Tuesdays instead.)

I'm going to start a "Crush of the Week" game for anyone that is interested. Much like the A-Z Monday game, there aren't a bunch of rules to follow...it's just something fun to do.

It will be as simple as this. Sometime during the day on Tuesday, pick a person (preferably a celebrity of some sort, or other at least somewhat recognizable face) and tell us why that person is your "crush of the week." This isn't gender specific, I've got a whole list of people to blog about - mostly men, but several women as well. You also don't have to pick someone that is current. If you want to write about Tony Curtis and how adorable he was in "Houdini" in 1953, go for it! It's all up to you. Write as much or as little as you'd like, and include a picture if you can.

One last thing, let me know if you are playing along, and link to my blog when you post. I'll put up a list of anyone that is participating.

And now, without further adieu, my Crush of the Week for this week is Ted Neeley.
If you are familiar with the 1973 film/rock opera "
Jesus Christ Superstar" you'll know who Ted Neeley is. He played Jesus in the film, and has continued to portray him on the stage ever since. I have had the pleasure of seeing him perform in person on a number of occasions (4 or 5 times that I can think of off the top of my head) and he has always given a tremendous performance. The most recent occasion that I saw him was last night, here in San Diego. I took the girls with me, and the three of us enjoyed each and every second of the evening.

Ted Neeley is no spring chicken anymore. He was 30 when he starred in the film and is now a spry 66 years old! His hair is a bit thinner, his abs are just a wee bit less firm than they used to be, and his voice was probably only at about 99% of what it used to be. In other words, he was still AWESOME!

It was such a pleasure to see him still rockin it with the younger cast, all of whom were young enough to be his children, or even grandchildren! He had a brilliant supporting cast, but he still carried the show. The only disappointing part of the evening was that he didn't exit the theater with the rest of the cast. The younger members of the cast came out, signed programs, posed for pictures with fans (yes, I got several with the girls) and chatted with the waiting crowd. We waited and waited, but as the rain started to come down in buckets, and all of the other cast members had left, we decided it was time to give up. It was still a very magical evening though, and something we will always remember.

Thank you Ted Neeley, for over 30 years of wonderful memories. You certainly deserve to be my #1 crush of the week!

4 comments:

kks said...

i'm soooo jealous!
love the music!!
you get to do all the fun stuff.....:)
xo

Golden Samantha said...

So sorry we've not visited in so long - it's been a weirdly bizzy January! How fun that you've seen this hunk playing JC so many times! Wow - to read - that at 66, he's still got it all going on is awesome! Glad you had so much fun - and - your game sounds cool! Not sure if I'll fit it in this month, but I'll try for FEB!
Hugs and Pats to the pups!
xo Sammie

Coffee Talk with Shar said...

What a great idea! I think I'll join you.....will let you know which blog later.

We saw the play as well and it was great - but not with such an impressive cast!!

We have an award for you on our blog...

Love you.

Valerie Cummings said...

Oh he IS yummy! Hugs Joey and Kealani