Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Good Stuff Going on For a Change!

Today was a good day. Much better than yesterday. I knew it would be. I felt a good day coming on.

I am tickled to say that after a couple of long months of different stuff going on, I've accomplished a couple of things I've been working hard on.


First of all, I've passed the 40 lb. mark. On February 4th I started seeing a weight management doctor. With her encouragement and guidance I've been able to loose (as of today) 40.5 lbs. I am not close to my goal, by a long shot, but well on my way. I've been hesitant to mention anything about trying to loose weight because, well, to be honest, I usually bounce back and forth like a rubber ball...I'm hoping, and praying, that this time will be different. The weight is coming off slowly, so hopefully it will stay off for good! I've done a lot of portion modification, and a couple of other adjustments to my lifestyle, but nothing over the deep end. Slow and steady....so far so good. I keep reminding myself that nothing tastes as good as buying a pair of pants in the "regular size" department feels. Boy oh boy, that does feel good!

Something else I feel great about is that as of today Kona and I are an "official" volunteer team for the VA Hospital. Although we've been visiting for months and months, mainly in the Spinal Cord injury unit, we needed special approval for visiting the main hospital, and especially the hospice ward. Over the course of the last 2 months I've had to go to an all day orientation, have my finger prints taken, filled out a myriad of paperwork and had 3, yes, count them, 3 TB tests done. I got my badge today, and we are finally all set to go. We'll continue our twice weekly visits through December and then in January add a visit to hospice every other Wednesday.

When I got my picture taken today for my badge, the officer told me to "smile, we like happy volunteers here." Yes, Sir!
Kona didn't know he was supposed to smile when he got his picture taken for his badge!

Other good stuff today included my new, and I must say gorgeous, refrigerator getting delivered. The guys from Sears were not only on time, but even a couple of minutes early, and were so nice and personable that I was practically shocked! They were courteous, and pleasant, and quick and clean - wow! What a nice experience! The frig looks great, and although I would have rather have gotten a new couch today, I've got to say I'm really happy.
We went from this....
To this....
And because the delivery was on time, I was able to keep my nail appointment without any problem...and having pretty, freshly done nails always makes me feel good.

Dinner tonight was quick and easy, so that was a plus, and Hubby has been working on some work projects since dinner, so he hasn't given me a hard time about plinking on the computer this evening-another good thing! I won't push my luck though - so off I go! I hope you had a good day too!

6 comments:

kks said...

oh Sue, congratulations on your success! i have noticed the change!! it can be a tedious journey, but you are doing all the right things...slow and steady...and congrats on your new badges, you both look like very happy volunteers!!
LOVE your fridge!
as you may know, i've started my own journey toward healthy living...in fact i started another little blog to keep me accountable..check it out if you want...look under my profile to find it..
so you had a great day...like the saying goes...one day at a time!
you are a beautiful women with a huge heart! you do so much for others, don't forget to take time just for yourself!
xo

♥I am Holly♥ said...

Congratulations on everything!! It sounds like your bad day has finally turned absolutely wonderful!! That is so nice to be volunteering at the VA with Kona to help people. That has to give you a feeling of doing something so great! And your refrigerator...wow!!! I would love one like that!!! It's beautiful!!!

Valerie Cummings said...

Pa Pow! What a beautiful fridge!!! And you are looking hot!!! Hugs Joey and Kealani

Coffee Talk with Shar said...

Hey, that looks like our new fridge!!! Very nice!

Oh Sue, congrats on the weight loss - it is such a struggle, isn't it? But I sure do know what you mean about going into the "regular size" areas of the store to look for clothes. After my surgery, I went to the normal peoples clothes and it was amazing. Of course it didn't last, but I can relate to the feeling! Good for you!!!!! You can really tell you've lost weight from your VA photo. Wow!

alisa said...

that is sooooooo awsome great job on the weight loss. you look great.

Chris H said...

Well done on the loss chick.. you can do it.
I loved your old fridge! The new one is totally gorgeous too of course.. but you are gunna come to hate the stainless steel... it needs constant wiping! WEll ours does!