Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankful

I have so much to be thankful for this year, it's hard to know where to start.



I actually woke up this morning thinking about how blessed I've been in the past year. Yes, it was a tough year in many respects. Hubby lost his job very unexpectedly in early June, my Dad was very sick this summer and we weren't even sure if he would be around to celebrate Thanksgiving with us. Other things came up out of the blue and smacked us in the face, reminding us that life is fragile, and we only have so much control over what happens. The trials and tribulations of life are hard to get through sometimes, but they are just that: life. Things happen, our paths change unexpectedly, we lose dear friends and things we love, new things come into our lives and we learn to cope, rearrange, compensate, and go on.


We need to remind ourselves to be thankful for everyday, no matter what. We never know what tomorrow may bring, and there are no guarantees.


So, on that note, and in no particular order, here are some of the many, many things I am thankful for this year.
  • My family, the most incredibly supportive family a person could ever ask for.

  • My dogs - the best non-human companions there are. They share their unconditional love with me, fill my day with giggles, love (and fur) and can bring a smile to my face when all else fails.

  • My friends who put up with my O.C.D., my Halloween craziness, my eccentricities, my control issues and occasional bossiness (especially around Halloween!), my Golden obsession, my 3 Day training schedule, my insecurities, etc.
  • My special friends that came out to crew and cheer for me, my team mates and the other 4000 walkers that walked in last week's cold, rainy 3 Day- 60 mile walk. You said you were going to come, you DID come, you stood in the rain, you high-fived hundreds of strangers and helped make their day a little brighter, and you made our days a LOT brighter. You, my dedicated friends, are a very special breed, and I love you all.
  • Ibuprofen - in the days since the walk I have been very, very thankful for Ibuprofen.
  • Modern technology. Without modern technology I would not have had my Dad with me to share a Thanksgiving dinner with. Kidney dialysis has saved his life, and given him back a quality of life we thought was gone for him. His appetite is back, his humor and wonderful personality is back, and for that we are all extremely thankful!
  • My friends at the VA Hospital. They remind me each time I visit just how lucky I am. No matter what kind of a mood I may be in on the way to the VA, I feel better walking through those doors, and as I leave, I am reminded of how blessed I am.
  • Love on a Leash - the therapy dog organization Kona and I belong to. LoaL opened up a whole world of service to others for me. I had no idea what I was getting into when I joined, and I am thankful daily for the opportunities it provides me. There is no better feeling than to bring joy to others.
  • Trans Siberian Orchestra - I am thankful that you are coming to town and I get to see you.
  • The "Black Friday" ads in the paper. Your proved to me, once again, that there is nothing I need to get up for at 3am...oh sure, there are a couple of things that I want...but nothing I need. That's a great feeling. So is sleeping in.
  • My blog friends - I am thankful that you take the time out of your busy day to read my gibberish, comment on my posts, and hang in there when I know I must be boring you. I appreciate each and every comment, and visit you make to this lil blog of mine.
  • Charlotte what's her name - the recruiter that helped Hubby find and land his new awesome job! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!
  • Ron - you have no idea how thankful I am for you and your family! We'd have been lost without you this year. Thank you for helping us to get through some very rough times.

I know I could go on and on, and there are literally thousands of people and things I am grateful for, but I'll stop for now, and get working on some stuff I should get done around the house.

I hope you'll take some time out of your very busy weekend and reflect on what you are thankful for this year as well. After all, isn't that what this time of year is really all about?

With love, and thankfulness to each and everyone of you,

Sue

1 comment:

Valerie Cummings said...

Amen, Im SO thankful for you and your family! Love Valerie