Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A New Painting Project

It's been a long time since I've painted. Something in oils, something artist. The new guest room I did last week certainly didn't count as anything artist. I've been itching to do something artsy-fartsy.

So, tell me, have you ever heard of Bob Ross? He's the fellow that used to be on PBS making complete paintings in a half hour. He was a white guy with a great, big afro, and he loved to paint "Happy Little Trees." He has been gone for quite some time now, but his products and ideas are still around. He used a "wet on wet" technique. I'm a big fan. I don't have the time or the patience to do an oil painting over weeks or months. I can't exactly knock one out in a half of an hour, but I was able to spare about three hours this morning. I hadn't done a painting like this in over 7 years. I have done several other painting in the past, and one of these days I'll run across the pictures of them and post them...until then, I'll share what I did today.

This is my setup. Blank canvas, chai tea, plenty of newspaper to wipe up spills...
Preparing my palette.
A little dab of each should do for now. Hubby made me this Plexiglas palette years ago and I love it. It has plenty of room for me to mix on.
In the beginning there was the sky, and some water....
...and some sand.
Next came some very rough palm trees.
Adding some detail is always fun.
Yours truly, hard at work. (Thanks to Val for coming over and grabbing my camera!)
The finished product.
It didn't come out exactly as I wanted (the sky and the ocean are too close in color, and the palm fronds don't have enough variation), but overall I was pretty pleased with the results - again, considering I hadn't even looked at my equipment in over 7 years.... I'm going to do this same scene again, on another practice canvas, and when I am happy with the result, I am going to move to a larger canvas and work on a painting for the guest room. I probably won't have time to do anything for a week or two...especially since the 3 Day walk starts THIS FRIDAY! Yowza! But I'm glad I was able to enjoy a little "me" time today and work on my technique.

6 comments:

Curt Rogers said...

Sue, this is great! You're such a versatile person. Thanks for sharing a whole new side of yourself with us! I can't wait to see more.

Unknown said...

I wish I could paint, I would love to do a canvas painting of the dogs but i lack total drawing skills.

I love that beach scene.

Bob Ross -we totally know who he is :)

Valerie Cummings said...

Youre such a cute artist!!! Love the palm trees!!!! HUgs Valerie

Golden Samantha said...

Wow Sue! You have a total comprehension of perspective and color and light and dark - incredible painting! You are genius artiste!!! Can't wait to see the huge version. And... Val... good artistic photos to go along with this organized presentation - I definitely remember that fro' guy painter! Will be THINKING of you lots Friday!
Hugs xoxoox
Sammie and Avalon and Mom

Kelli said...

Oh my gosh, Sue, I didn't remember that you are a Bob Ross painter! So cool!!! I love your painting!!! I didn't realize that we have more than a love for Goldens in common! I'm a Certified Ross Instructor on the MS and AL coast. My Bob Ross blog is with all the rest at ugottafriend.com!

Keep up the great work!!!
Kelli

Buy WoW Mage said...

nice painting!:D

although it did not turn out right for you. it looks really great to us.