Monday, November 22, 2010

2010 3 Day Breast Cancer Walk - Day 3

I was too wiped out to do anything yesterday after I got home from finishing the 3 Day, and I took most of today off from doing anything other than icing my knee...but there is so much to share, I just had to start somewhere! Day 3 started off with blue sky - thank goodness! We got a nice early start, and hit the road hoping the sun would hold out. The "Melon Men" got an early start too, and were out on the route early to cheer on the walkers.

We enjoyed the warm weather while we had it...
One of the yucky parts about the 3 day (and probably my only complaint about the event itself) was the wait for porta-potties...when a girl's gotta go, a girl's gotta go!
One thing I can say about having to wait in line though, was that there was always something entertaining to watch. The San Jose Police Bike Patrol was in town again for our event, and these guys are a riot! They can make anything fun, even standing in line!



Before too long, we were back in our rain gear...fun, fun...

What? We knew we'd walked a long way...but this far? Not quite! Ha ha! Each of our pit stops had a unique flair to them. This one was obviously Vegas themed...complete with "Elvis" serving up orange slices and string cheese.
Each day we walked, we had a big hill to face. On day 3 it was Juan Street, coming out of Old Town. I. HATE. JUAN. STREET. I'm just sayin....
Hate it or not, we got to the top! I've got to say it felt AWESOME to walk every step up that...especially as we saw buses full of walkers that opted out of walking up it. It was a sense of accomplishment for sure.
It was a lovely view from the top if I do say so myself.
We see all kinds of people along the way. This older gentleman is one of our favorites. He is out there every year!
Before too long we'd crossed the finish line, and were in the holding area for the closing ceremony.
Making it to the finish was incredible. I think we all felt invincible!
It felt great putting on our victory shirts too!
During closing ceremonies it's a tradition to take off one shoe.
The closing ceremony is a humbling, touching, emotional event, with all of the walkers, all of the crew and all of the survivors that participated in attendance. At times you could hear a pin drop, and other times the hoots and hollering was deafening.
More pictures soon, and a wrap up of the event...thanks for hanging in there and following along with me on this fantastic journey.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing!
What a great acomplishment! I loved seeing all the pics, what a fun time to celebrate with other women.

Chris H said...

What an amazing event, it looks like it has a huge following there! Well done Sue on another fantastic effort.