Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Making Progress on a Project

I have been a bad blogger lately. I have been distracted and unable to sit down and concentrate on writing a decent blog and I haven't had any time in I don't know how long to visit anyone elses blog. Shame on me.

I have been engrossed in a project. In fact, I've recently realized that I am obsessed with having projects. If I don't have one big thing going one, I create something else. For example, this year I didn't have my regular Halloween Party, which makes one think I would have a lot of extra time on my hands....but that was not the case at all. Since I didn't have the Halloween party occupying all of my time, I came up with another project. We had a jumbo fundraiser instead. We had over 130 people here, and raised a ton of money for our 3 Day walk team...once that was over, I concentrated on our anniversary cruise. Anniversary cruise done? Check. Time to dive into becoming the new Love on a Leash Chapter leader for the newly created San Diego Central Chapter. That doesn't involve much, only coordinating members and visits and setting up new facilities, and observing new members and signing off on paperwork and setting up facility calendars and...and...and....of course that's in addition to the three times weekly therapy visits Kona and I make, and my Golden Retriever Meetup group....which now is hovering near 920 members. That doesn't take much time either...only answering about 40-50 emails a day, setting up meetups, perusing the message boards, approving (and declining) new member requests, coming up with new ideas for meetups, posting pictures of past meetups, and playing referee between members sometimes. Oh, if I were only paid for all of the volunteer hours I put in I would be a rich, rich woman...but, I like to remind myself that even if I don't get financial compensation for all of that, I am rewarded in so many other ways....


My newest project has been transforming Pickle's old bedroom into a guest room. When Bear moved out, Pickle migrated to Bear's old room. It is a bit bigger, and had a cooler, more "grown up" feel to it. Pickle's room had been a very cute, very colorful young girl's room. With white walls on the top half and purple on the bottom, a "love" and peace sign border topped off the pink, purple theme. It really was the perfect room for her - 4 or 5 years ago. She was over it. She cleaned it out, and moved on, and I was left with a white and purple room. That's tough to make into an adult guest room. Hence, a new project for me.


I spent a good amount of time looking for a decent picture of what it looked like before. I didn't have much luck. My computer crashed a while back, and I lost a TON of pictures. The pictures of Pickle's room when we initially did it must have been in that batch. Here is one where you can get just a peak at what it used to look like. Suffice it to say that it was a typical girl's room with posters and pictures covering most of the wall space and lots of "stuff" crammed into it. So, once it was cleaned out, it looked like this....
Here it is after two coats of primer on the bottom to cover the purple.

Here it is with the top half re-painted the original ivory color, and the bottom with the new "Cup of Cocoa" color...I think they miss-named it though...
I think they should have called this color "Mickey D's Mocha" - I knew there was a reason I liked it so much!
So, I've been making good progress on this, and hope to have it nearly finished off by tomorrow evening. I've got to finish the baseboards, and touch up a few spots here and there. I also need to swap out the ugly beige electrical outlets with some new ivory ones. I ordered a bed which is getting delivered tomorrow afternoon, so I don't have any time to waste! Nothing like cutting it close! Hopefully I'll have pictures of the finished product tomorrow night.


2 comments:

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! That's a wonderful event ... great accomplishment. Room remodeling always takes time. Good Luck. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

How Sam Sees It said...

New projects are fun, though! We hope you are enjoying yourself through all of this!

Sam